Setting up my Perform planer/thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Like one or two others I was tempted by the latest Axminster offer. So much so that I bought the planer/thicknesser (it would have been a crime not to). I now have the problem of getting it setup (despite the claim that it was setup correctly in the factory :roll: )

Anyone out there with this machine (or one of the other many clones like it) able to help me? My problems.....

The infeed table of the planer is not in the same plane as the cutter block (it's about 0.5mm down on one end). Fixing this would be simple if they hadn't fixed the capping plates with metal dowels, leaving no room for adjustment :evil: As I see it I have three options:

a) Remove the dowels, adjust the table to be square with the cutter, re-drill the capping plates and re-dowel to fix them in place.

b) Adjust the location of the cutter block by loosening one end (four bolts) move the block up/down and lock it down again.

c) Adjust the seating of the blades in the cutter block so that they are parallel with the infeed table. This would mean having then slightly higher on one side of the block.

I'm leaning towards (a) at the moment.

Obviously (b) and (c) would make the cutter block out-of-line with the thicknesser bed. That would be a problem if it was already out-of-line (by about 0.75mm) :cry: So my second question is how do I fix this?

i) Move the cutter block (as in b).

ii) adjust the bed. I'm not sure how to do this - anyone managed to do this on one of these machines (I can't tell if those little grub screws on the four brass plates actually adjust it)?

Note to self: Stop buying cheap machines.

David,

My first port of call would be the technical guys at Axminster. Very helpful and knowledgeable (about most things they sell). If you don't get an answer that you are happy with then send it back (or get them to pick it up).

Cheap is not the same as 'not fit for purpose'. If it is a maker's error - which it sounds like - then it is not your responsibility to fix it and indeed could/ would invalidate the warranty.

If you are still not happy get your money back and save up for the one you really want instead of cursing the useless (now very expensive) waste of metal in the corner of the workshop! Trust me, I've done it too many times before. These lower priced tools should be able to perform (no pun intended) all the tasks indicated, but probably not for as long or as reliably as the more expensive trade and industrial versions.

If you don't make this problem the manufacturer's then more and more badly made cheap stuff will keep being flogged rather than what I think they are trying to do which is produce low cost, less robust but certainly adequate tooling for the hobbyist.

Sorry Rant over :oops:

Cheers

T

Tim,

Rant accepted. I will try the helpdesk, I have read the manual from cover to cover and it is quite comprehensive but has no mention of setting the thicknesser bed so I assumed there was no obvious way to adjust it.

I know the correct approach is to return this but the machine itself seems substantial and well made just not particually well setup. I'd have preferred it if the whole setting up had been left to the customer (me). If I return this (not too appealing as I have to move it again (it weighs 14 stone!) I would not expect the replacement to be any better setup (I have low expectations :) but don't mind tinkering myself).

I think I'll talk to the help desk and see what we come up with.

Thanks for you reply,
David.

Hi David.

Best course of action is to send it back, sloppy engineering is no excuse to sell things cheeper. :shock:

All the best
Neil

David,

I'd agree with the sending back. It seems that the quality control on these imports is not what it should be and the odd ringer does slip through. I had a similar problem with the SIP benchtop planer and I sent it back and got a replacement that works fine.
I agree about adjustments though, a slight change in design to allow for this sort of adjustment would greatly improve the machines.

Tim,

Don't worry, I was accepting that the content of the rant was justified and the correct thing to do. I didn't take it personally :)

David.

david send it back you dont have to pay postage ,you should not have to tinker with a p/t , all you should do is adjust the depth of cut you want .

David,

I have one of these, had it over a year and it worked out of the box. :) Very useable and useful bit of kit.
Only problem I have is the dust hood in thicknessing mode, so I made a better one from the scrap pile. :D

I think it should go back, you have a lemon :twisted:

Hi from new member.

Yes I also purchased perform P/T from Axminister. (came today)
When I read about your problem I rushed out to my workshop
(read garage) to check my P/T. RELEIVE infeed table alignment is within
.05mm (.002 ins in old money)

I agree that best thing to do is contact Axminster.

If you wish to correct it yourself, try placing a shim between the infeed table (low side) and the main casting. This should avoid re-drilling the dowels or any other mods.

Hope this helps.

Daves tip

Forget wax for p/t tables use Mr Sheen. (spray furniture polish)

Welcome to the forum DaveC :D

And thanks for the tip of mr Sheen. I will be trying that this weekend :wink:

Hi DaveC,

Welcome to the forum, can't have too many Daves :roll:

daveC":kb8d7gj0 said:
Daves tip

Forget wax for p/t tables use Mr Sheen. (spray furniture polish)

I would not recommend this tip however.

I am sure Mr Sheen has silicon in it which if you get it on unfinished wood will make it harder to finnish evenly.

/finds tin on landing shelf on way to loo :shock:

No mention of whats in the stuff, but
Mr Sheen tin":kb8d7gj0 said:
Not suitable for use on unsealed or waxed wooden surfaces. On antique / fine furniture, we recommend a wax paste polish such as Mansion Wax. Please consult your furniture dealer.

I use paste wax on all the tables in my shop, very slippy 8)

DaveL":3e5m5732 said:
I am sure Mr Sheen has silicon in it which if you get it on unfinished wood will make it harder to finnish evenly.

Yep, I'm fairly sure it is packed full of silicon compounds. Paste wax is the way to go if you want to minimise any problems with finishes adhering to the surface of your timber.

adam

David":e4gnj93i said:
Note to self: Stop buying cheap machines.

Sorry david can't agree, i have the same machine and it worked first time out of the box, the majority of my kit is yellow and whilst its not the best it gives me an opportunity as a "Hobby" woodworker to try things out i would never have dreamed of, if i find it useful then i can make the call to upgrade as i have done with my tablesaw, lathe, Mitre Saw, Router etc whilst still achieving a 70% resale value on ebay of the old kit...i will say though that in the month or so i have been in on this forum i have learnt more about my hobby than any magazine, book or video has taught me

Thanks for everyones recommendations (i.e. send it back). I went back out to the workshop to re-check my findings last night before I phoned Axminster....

The infeed table on the planer was still out of square but the thicknesser is now planing dead square (within a whisker) - most odd. Either it's settled in or somthing strange was happening with the timber I tried the night before (I still have it and no, I didn't mis-measure :) ). Or maybe it was me :?

Looking more closely I can easily shim the infeed table. Thanks for the suggetion DaveC, rather than shim between the infeed table and the main body, it looks like you can unbolt the lip on the table and shim between the lip and the table. This way I won't have the shim rubbing against the table when I adjust it.

I know I wouldn't have to pay the cost of returning the machine it's just the shear effort involved, it was hard enough lugging it down to the workshop in the first place. And who knows if the next one would be much better.

Maybe I'll give Axminster a call anyway just to let them know of the quality problem, it won't hurt.

Thanks again to everyone.
David.

Latest posts

Back