Setting posts in concrete...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antho

Established Member
Reaction score
I am building a pergola using a rustic wood called Thyua as posts.... its a type of cedar so has pretty good rot resistance and is very hard for a softwood. The pieces im using as pillars are over 100 years old taken from an old barn here in Morocco. I have been using post anchors on other structures but in order to get a stable and solid structure you need to add a lot of bracing which I cant do in this situation as its going to be a car port at times.

I have set posts in reinforced concrete forms before but have found unless the mass of concrete is pretty generous (and ugly) that the forms have cracked. I cant set the posts blow ground as they are not tall enough. Anybody got any tips or tricks for setting posts above ground with maximum stability and obviously I don't want them to rot if moisture gets trapped in the concrete?

Any thoughts?

Heres a picture of the wood.... very pretty

Attachments

• IMG_5151.jpeg
    IMG_5151.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5148.jpeg
    IMG_5148.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 67
What about it being a car port is stopping you from adding bracing, like below?

90dfb9579e6ff179c3edf593542d6f6a.jpg
Such lovely square wood... have a quick look at the pictures i posted and you will see why it would be more than a labour of love.... Nice job though very tight

Hi

The idea of a steel tube/rod in the end as suggested by Andy is a good method, sometimes used with a threaded bar to make it adjustable. Another method is a slot in the post that sits over a nicely profiled plate that is set in concrete that can be below ground to hide.

Just a thought:
  • Large ceramic pots (garden centre?) with a bit of decorative value.
  • Place posts in pots
  • Loosely wrap in some galvanised steel mesh for reinforcement
  • Fill with concrete, try to eliminate bubbles
  • Ensure a slope down from post to rim so water does not pool

Back