Setting planer knives on Emco Rex B20

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would use the end not the middle, the middle will act like a pivot, if you knock one end down the other will pivot up. Yes once adjusted, tighten everything thing up.

The blades moving on tightening sounds very annoying and rather like a design weakness. I can see the securing bolts go through the planer knives, I can only guess the knives are contacting the screws at the edges of the elongated holes and thus moving the knives when the bolts rotate?

Fitz
Would it be possible to adjust knives according to infeed table, if this is in level with outfeed table?

Would it be possible to adjust knives according to infeed table, if this is in level with outfeed table?
In theory yes, however if you have the outfeed at the correct height why use the infeed ?

The height of the cutting edge relative to the outfeed is the critical setting. Too low or high and you’ll get snipe and/or a convex board. If the outfeed table is height adjustable then using the infeed as reference is not an issue, however if the height is not adjustable then any error in height difference between infeed and outfeed will cause an issue with the cut.

Fitz

In theory yes, however if you have the outfeed at the correct height why use the infeed ?

The height of the cutting edge relative to the outfeed is the critical setting. Too low or high and you’ll get snipe and/or a convex board. If the outfeed table is height adjustable then using the infeed as reference is not an issue, however if the height is not adjustable then any error in height difference between infeed and outfeed will cause an issue with the cut.

Fitz
Because of arguments in the tread. Impossible to rotate cutter when screws are out.

Back