Set Screws for plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a No6 plane that says Bailey in the casting, its the only longish sole plane I have and I have done as much as possible to get it cutting OK and am pretty happy with it - 'til yesterday!
It started jamming shavings badly. When I took it apart one of the two screws (bolts/set screws?) that hold the angled casting to the sole casting and allow fore and aft movement, had stripped its thead.
The thread in the hole seems OK.
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement asap as I am in the middle of flattening my bench top?
It looks to me like an old British thread (Whitworth?) but has a distinctive top to run along the elongated slots.

Also is there a rule about how far back from the iron edge the chip breaker should be?

Regards
martin

Martin,

I guess you are referring to the screws securing the frog - #10 in this picture

StanleyPlanePartsBreakdown.jpg

These folk seem to offer spares for Stanley planes which might fit yours. The trouble is plane makers have used a fair few non-standard threads over the years.
http://www.mackay.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

The chip breaker is normally set back about one sixteenth of an inch from the edge.

Martin

As a quick fix if you haven't already sourced a screw, there is a Stanly/Bailey in my workshop you are more than welcome to use it, it might need a sharpen. let me know and I'll inform HID's.

Chris
Got onto MacKays at once, guy fell about laughing, said that Stanleys haven't had screws and spares for 5 years and are only just supplying them with handles after 2 years with none!
He did help with the size: 5/32 Whitworth but was pessimistic I will find one.

Waka, you are very kind but I need to get mine sorted asap. When are you back?

Don't suppose anyones got one lying around for a smallish kings ransom?...........

Regards
martin

Don't suppose anyones got one lying around for a smallish kings ransom?...........

Just go to a car boot sale, and find the rustiest, nastiest, missing its lever cap and broken handle Stanley plane you can find, and use it for parts. Should cost you at max a fiver, and a coupla' quid if you're any good at haggling.

BugBear

Martin

Not back in the country until later next week. If you can't find anything my next door neighbour will probabley be able to make some for you, he does the metal work, I play with wood.

The offer still stands if you want to progress with the bench top.

Back