• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Server Move - TODAY - 29th - 3PM

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Charley

Established Member
Reaction score
For the members who aren’t aware, UKW is currently hosted on a ‘shared’ server.

I bought a dedicated server last month which is located in the Gyron network at the RedBusIII datacentre, London and it’s going to be UKW’s new home

Although UKW doesn’t actually need a dedicated server at the moment, it is getting through a lot of bandwidth and instead of just keep upgrading the account I think it makes sense to move it to somewhere it can grow without having to worrying about space and bandwidth issues.

Having the extra space and bandwidth opens up a lot of exciting possibilities for UKW. A few of the features I would like to see active by the end of the year are; a chat Room, a better gallery system, video how-to’s, and yes – loads more ;)

Another benefit of the new server is me having full control if it. For example if mySQL plays up again, I’ll be able to fix it without having to wait for the host…

The move will happen tomorrow at around 3pm UK time (BST). Sorry for the short notice. I was going to do it at the end of the week but thought there’s no point waiting.

At around 3PM I’ll be closing the forum and gallery on the current server. Once they are disabled I will begin transferring the account to the new server which should take around 10mins.

Once the account is on the new server I’ll update the domains nameservers so ukworkshop.co.uk will point to the new server. Depending on your ISP this can take up to 48 hours to take affect.

What I’ll also do is edit the DNS records on the current server so within 10mins of me making the changes you should be directed to the new server and won’t have to wait for the nameserver changes to take affect.

In the mean time, the forum will still be disabled while I’ll do some checks and add a mod to the forum.

If everything goes to plan everything should be back to normal by 3:30PM
[-o<
Over the next few days my UKW email address may be a bit unreliable so if you need to contact me please use info @ cfell.com

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Cor!!! Blinking exciting!!!! :shock:
And a new Mod, eh???? Go on-don't keep us waiting?
Cheers and congrats,
Philly :D

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Ooo-err, I hope it goes okay. 8-[

Cheers, Alf

Off to offer up a few sacrifices to the tool gods in hopes of a smooth transition. [-o<

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Best of luck Charley,

I admire your dedication to the Forum with the associated loss of Wood manipulation time that it must entail.

Fingers Crossed :!:

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
Charley,
I'd like to echo John's comments.

Thanks for your hard work and dedication

Andy

Charley

Established Member
Reaction score
Newbie_Neil":1obahfrj said:
I assume that Mod is short for modification and nor Moderator.
Yep I meant mod as in modification

Thanks everyone :D

The move is still planned for 3PM, I'll keep you updated if it's delayed.

tibbs

Established Member
Reaction score
whats the new IP going to be
Haven't picked one yet, I'll go and choose one now and let you know.

Errr - I don't quite understand how thats going to work - have you got another domain name pointed at the new server already setup & propagated through the worlds DNS's ?

As you know the nameserver changes aren’t instant and will take roughly 24 hours to update. In the mean time when you type in ukworkshop.co.uk you will still be taken to the old server.

At the server there are the actual DNS records which tell the browser where to get the webpage from. Normally the DNS records point to the IP address of the local server but I'll change them to point to the new server IP.

When I've done this in the past changes have happened within 5mins, so hopefully you should be forwarded to the new server within mins of me making the changes :D [-o<

tibbs

Established Member
Reaction score
Charley":1gs9um75 said:
UKW's new IP will be '83.223.112.170'
OK - thanks for that.

My original message above seems to have been replaced with your reply but still attributed to me.

As I understand it, it's the timeout settings in the locally cached DNS copy that everyone uses that causes the 24/48 hour delay in getting the new info. If I connect via Demon, say, then I'm stuck with using Demon's cached copy of your master DNS entry - the cached copy is only updated once its aged by at least the timeout period, & then a fresh copy of the DNS entry is fetched from the master for the domain. Some people will see the changes immediately if their locally cached copy is too old to be used, others may have to wait the full time if their locally cached copy was updated just before the master was changed, most will be in between somewhere. You can override your locally cached DNS entry via the hosts file on PCs - its called something else on Macs - its too long since I did anything like that on a Mac to remember. Obviously, its not advisable to leave the overriden values in the hosts file once the changes have propagated across the net, as theyll mask any further changes in the future.

Richard

Charley

Established Member
Reaction score
tibbs":3ebtta8q said:
Charley":3ebtta8q said:
UKW's new IP will be '83.223.112.170'
OK - thanks for that.

My original message above seems to have been replaced with your reply but still attributed to me.

As I understand it, it's the timeout settings in the locally cached DNS copy that everyone uses that causes the 24/48 hour delay in getting the new info. If I connect via Demon, say, then I'm stuck with using Demon's cached copy of your master DNS entry - the cached copy is only updated once its aged by at least the timeout period, & then a fresh copy of the DNS entry is fetched from the master for the domain. Some people will see the changes immediately if their locally cached copy is too old to be used, others may have to wait the full time if their locally cached copy was updated just before the master was changed, most will be in between somewhere. You can override your locally cached DNS entry via the hosts file on PCs - its called something else on Macs - its too long since I did anything like that on a Mac to remember. Obviously, its not advisable to leave the overriden values in the hosts file once the changes have propagated across the net, as theyll mask any further changes in the future.

Richard
Sorry about the Richard, I must of clicked 'edit' instead of 'quote' :oops: Is the first time in two years so I've done well up to now :p

DNS is a nightmare and like you say it all depends on the ISP. That is why I used the words *should* :wink:

Your ISP should only cache the main DNS record an hour

tibbs

Established Member
Reaction score
Charley":y6jnvgos said:
Sorry about the Richard, I must of clicked 'edit' instead of 'quote' :oops: Is the first time in two years so I've done well up to now :p
Nae bother (as they say round here) - its been a kinda stressful time for you today I should imagine - the new server seems to be humming along fine now - congrats.

I expect the DNS will sort itself out 'dreckly' (as they say down Cornwall way) - which when I lived there seemed to translate to 'Thursday' although it was never very clear as to which particular Thursday was being referred to.

Richard