Serpentwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12345Peter

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an 8" x 3" serpentwood blank and the only serpentwood images I have come across look totally different to this piece. The images I have seen show a lovely grain, but the blank I have looks to be a solid colour a bit like red mahogany.

The blank is extremely heavy, I was surprised when I first picked it up. Does anyone have any experience of this wood.

I am wondering if it has been mis-labelled and is not really serpentwood. It was originally from The Home Of Woodturning.

Regards

I will post a photo when I get round to facing it off or turn it, as it is now it is a bit dirty and waxed in places. If you have any experience of serpentwood I would be interested to hear about it.

Regards

woodyturner":324nk4ax said:
serpentwood is normally a tan colour with darker streaks running along the grain

Yes that is the type I have seen in images, but this blank is not like that, unless it is hiding inside. I will turn it or face it soon and see what happens. There are quite a few fine splits in it and I have been drizzeling CA into them to try and limit the chance of flying bits when I turn it.

Regards

Better known (to me anyway !) as snakewood I think, but yes, normally has the dark stripes/streaks alternating with the background colour.

Cheers, Paul

Neil Farrer":1ygetf5j said:
Peter,

I have some Serpentwood, concur with what Woody is saying, I don't think that the bit you have is Serpentwood. You can check out some pictures on American websites, they call it marblewood.

This link might take you to it:

http://www.woodturningz.com/PRODUCTS/PBMARBLE.jpg

Thanks for that Neil, your link shows a very similar piece to those I have seen already, so it pretty much seems that what I have isn't serpentwood.

regards

paulm":5xxjfr4x said:
Better known (to me anyway !) as snakewood I think, but yes, normally has the dark stripes/streaks alternating with the background colour.

Cheers, Paul

Yes, I read that snakewood and serpentwood were the same, but when I looked deeper they seem to have different latin names, but they certainly look very similar.

Regards

Roger C":2vfnbqk1 said:
Peter Google Snakebean wood. This may be what you have. Regards Roger C

Hi Roger, thanks for the link, It doesn't look like the piece I have, but it is less figured.

I will take a photo as it is and post it.

I was in Pretoria a few of years ago. Do you have much exotic wood to turn?

Regards

TEP":2g4f5mxa said:
I find this site can be very helpful.

Yes, I tried that, but it didn't bring up serpentwood.

Here is an image of the blank I have.

Attachments

• serpentwood_1.jpg
    serpentwood_1.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 736
Hi Peter Does the wood have a smell that you could couple to a every day smell. Where did the supplier get it from. Re exotic woods in SA if you are referring to our local timbers I have some. Regards Roger C

Roger C":1oc7xry8 said:
Hi Peter Does the wood have a smell that you could couple to a every day smell. Where did the supplier get it from. Re exotic woods in SA if you are referring to our local timbers I have some. Regards Roger C

Hi Roger, There is no smell that I can ascertain, but when I start working on it then one may emerge.

I got it from my club, one of the members dies and his wife donated it all to the club. I also bought a nice Zebrano Blank and that really is zebrano or a very good lookalike :lol:

What sort of local timbers do you get hold of?

Regards

Hi Peter Try Burmese Teak google looks very close to your pic I enlarge your pic to full screen and checked images.
I have of the following local timbers Red Ivory, Lead wood, African Black wood,Sweet thorn, Fever tree,Sugar bush( protea ), Transvaal Beech, White stinkwood, Jackal Berry, Yellow wood, Tambotie,Pod Mahogany, Olive, Wild Syringa and many more plus a few introduced species like Cypress, Jacaranda, Fruit woods, Cedar and Indian Mahogany. Regards Roger C

Roger C":4ccz4mvk said:
Hi Peter Try Burmese Teak google looks very close to your pic I enlarge your pic to full screen and checked images.

Yes it does look very similar Roger.

Roger C":4ccz4mvk said:
I have of the following local timbers Red Ivory, Lead wood, African Black wood,Sweet thorn, Fever tree,Sugar bush( protea ), Transvaal Beech, White stinkwood, Jackal Berry, Yellow wood, Tambotie,Pod Mahogany, Olive, Wild Syringa and many more plus a few introduced species like Cypress, Jacaranda, Fruit woods, Cedar and Indian Mahogany. Regards Roger C

I will google them later and have a good look at what I don't have :wink:

Do you have any pics of anything you have turned out of your local timbers?

Regards

Back