Serious accident

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I would like to bring to everyone's notice the risks taken when doing woodwork. I'm currently building a wardrobe (yes, I know I said Never Again) and went to the Tool Shop in Derby this morning for some Chestnut Lacquer and stuff. I accidentally walked out with a Veritas BU Smoother, which somehow crossed my retina. I usually consider myself to be a fairly safe shopper, I know what I'm going for, get it, and get home again as quickly as possible. But in this instance the manager had deliberately put the plane behind a glass window where people could see it, and I had no option but to buy it.

I know we hear of this sort of thing happening all the time, and always think It'll Never Happen to Me, but it all happened so fast. One minute I was buying Sanding Sealer, the next, Bang, my credit card was being hit.

The domestic consequences of this accident have yet to be ascertained, but I thought I'd pass on my experience so others may be prepared.

Cheers
Steve

Steve
Sorry to hear about your accident-were you wearing your safety glasses? :lol:
Let us know how you get on with the BUS-it is a beauty! :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

Steve,
This definitely a reportable accident. In fact, given the wilful negligence on the part of the shop, perhaps a police report is appropriate. :lol:

Oh, Steve, and you an experienced woodworker? What were you thinking using a credit card without any guarding in place? #-o

Cheers, Alf

So Steve sleeping in the shop tonight then? :roll:
I am surprised that it took this long for you to circum, they are a very nice :tool:

youd think that after all the hype n publicity there's been about this syndrome, aomeone shouuld've developed an effective antidote to Veritasitus...

Look at all the casualties that its racked up already........

Very understandable Steve :D

do they carry other veritas tools?
I am now thinking of driving over on tuesday :whistle:

Tony,
Yes they do stock other Veritas tools, but it's a very limited range. I think I saw just the Low Angle Jack and the normal No5 there. They have some of the smaller Veritas stuff that is sold on cards, too.

Of course, they will get you anything you want, and their range of other stuff, all of it good quality, is good. Knowledgable and friendly too.

Cheers
Steve

Ok, guys & gals, lets not make too much of an issue.
Its a mere slip of the mind and credit card and whatever else.
These things happen to the best of us.
With Steves' maturity and experience, should not be a problem explaining it to THE BOSS!
:D 8) 8) :oops: :oops:

Well, it would be a terrible thing to see you hurt your relationship with your wife.

Just send it my way.

My address is
2120 17th...

Congrats on the plane. btw, Derek's review was just finished, though it's not posted. He does have a teaser on WoodNet though.

Mike

Back