Series 2, land rover, soft top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of Land rover guys on here.
My neighbours hobby is doing up cars, over the last 5 years he's done a couple I have seen and they are proper nut and bolt jobs. Absolutely immaculate.
He has just bought and expensive project and has offered me his series 2 soft top landrover SWB. It's mint. Don't know about history at present or even milage.
He wants to sell to fund the new project.
Anyone got some knowledge of series 2 prices?

Whatever it costs to buy it will pale in comparison to the cost of running it ;) :ROFLMAO:

Not really, because it's a classic it will be driven very little and classic insurance is very cheap, I have a car from 1979 and it's peanuts compared with a modern car.

Bob, there is a firm in Thirsk called John Brown 4x4. I have toyed with the idea of getting a classic from them. Series 2 in good condition could easily be £30k plus some. They are always up for a chat so may be worth giving them a call and asking what they have and prices to get a ballpark figure.

Does he have a price in mind?
If it's that good it's going to be at least £5k absolute minimum.
Never had a problem with half shafts @Phil Pascoe unless it was a V8?

Does he have a price in mind?
If it's that good it's going to be at least £5k absolute minimum.
Never had a problem with half shafts @Phil Pascoe unless it was a V8?
I did - when towing - a back one went doing a hill start - and as the freewheel hubs were engaged I could not engage 4WD and hold it in the hand brake.

Bog standard 2¼

More like £25k/£30k as described.

Yes he's mentioned a figure between those two.
As mentioned, it was a proper nut and bolt restoration, quite amazing, it took him 3 years to complete. At one point I thought he had lost the plot as it was literally in many thousands of pieces. Painting done by a pro shop, chassis was powder coated I think or galvanised, I need to check on these things, he has it in staorage at present. I'm of the opinion that it probably isn't going to lose money as it's an iconic vehicle, where as my lotus will eventually drop again in value as it's more of a generation car.

Ah, if you run a Lotus then a Land Rover will be reliability personified by comparison :)

It's a myth, Lotus Esprit S2 JPS, 1979. Never broken down in 3 years, headlights have caused a few issues but overall it's been a pleasure and very cheap classic ownership.

Ahhh the taunts of a car owner to the car enthusiast. revel in the glory Bob. :)
(just joking about Phil)
depending on how original he went with his rebuild it could be a good buy or a money pit. I've helped in the rebuild of a few S2 and S2a, mainly doing some welding, typically on the outriggers. they have their issues, nothing that can't be dealt and definitively nothing that a good service and maintenance routine isn't going to help prevent. 30k is steep in my eyes (but they are tainted by the real world rather than the classic and fashion market), 25k for a good restro is believable I think. the S2 isn't quite as iconic as an S1 or the defender for that matter but it has it's place.

my gripe is that they are rather agricultural, but I can see why that is a selling point to some.
if you have the beans, go for it, but remember that buying a car from a mate is always a path to annoyance, I mean, how can you puppy about the PO if it's the PO you are talking too? :)

If it will make you happy, buy it, but I don't think it's possible to make the case for it being a reliable, cheap form of transport unless used for short fun trips out.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it has to be reliable or cheap if it isn't your daily driver.

I think it highly unlikely that whatever you pay for it, you won't lose money should you want to sell it later on.

Fun vehicles, utterly basic. Mine were reliable, usually easily fixed when they did have problems. Parts are easy to come by, but so much of what is on the market is world-changing trash, and the best quality worthwhile parts cost more.

What you get..
Cheap to run except on fuel, I'd get 21mpg on a run with overdrive. Off road, a fraction of that.
Cachet.
The pinnacle of British automotive engineering.
A never ending battle against rust.

What you don't get..
Legroom, (109s have more than the 88s though)
Cargo space though see legroom above.
Comfort,
The ability to drive at over 45mph without thinking that Armageddon is happening under the bonnet.
Somewhere for your right elbow.
Heat from the heater.
Security, esp with a soft top.

I've video of one of my mates in his s2 88 rescuing a stuck jeep wrangler in Wales, oh how we laughed.

According to Son-in-law in the USA, one way to make a fast buck is to buy old Landrover in the UK, tart it up a bit and ship to the states, where they will pay up to $75k for one. But there speaks a man who had a Lotus Elise...................

I know there are a lot of Land rover guys on here.
My neighbours hobby is doing up cars, over the last 5 years he's done a couple I have seen and they are proper nut and bolt jobs. Absolutely immaculate.
He has just bought and expensive project and has offered me his series 2 soft top landrover SWB. It's mint. Don't know about history at present or even milage.
He wants to sell to fund the new project.
Anyone got some knowledge of series 2 prices?
What price is he asking? If it is mint then the expensive work will have been done. Keep it clean and properly serviced at least annually and you will love it. I gave a Series 3 which is serviced/maintained twice a year and no issues. Love it.

have you driven one?
I have owned a SI / SII / SIIa - they are hugely characterful cars, lots of fun, terribly slow, easy to fix, and don't steer... it doesn't seem to matter what tyres you have them on the steering wheel only maintains a loose relationship with the direction in which you are heading... mind you the 2a I had developed a gearstick personality disorder as it would rotate, and you never quite knew which direction to move it to change gear!

would I have another - yes, as a heart decision, they are a classic and always will be - their prices have increased substantially, driven by 90 / 110 / defender prices rising, and if you just want local potter down to the pub type of a car, then they are perfect - for any longer journeys no. Head decision though would never buy another - I know that I would buy one and get frustrated with its short-comings, and then sell it... and return as I keep doing to classic range rovers which are just so much more comfortable!

Yes he's mentioned a figure between those two.
As mentioned, it was a proper nut and bolt restoration, quite amazing, it took him 3 years to complete. At one point I thought he had lost the plot as it was literally in many thousands of pieces. Painting done by a pro shop, chassis was powder coated I think or galvanised, I need to check on these things, he has it in staorage at present. I'm of the opinion that it probably isn't going to lose money as it's an iconic vehicle, where as my lotus will eventually drop again in value as it's more of a generation car.
Do you think your lotus will depreciate?

I doubt it unless you let it go to pieces.

Possibly the most iconic sports car of its day after the e type, gt40, Ferrari testarossa etc.

Cheers James

Latest posts

Back