September challenge - the results!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Things a bit in the air at the mo, but I have the September results from Paul.

1. and 6 points - Dennisk - simple shape, well executed and finished.
2. and 5 points - KimG - Nice shapes, good proportions and interesting use of colour.
3. and 4 points - Henton49er - Well turned and finished.
4. and 3 points - Gus3049 - Elegant shapes, well turned and finished, it's a shame the third one didn't work out.
5. and 2 points - Nev - nicely turned and finished.The simple neck design worked well.

Once again thank you for supporting the challenge, and would like to congratulate all who entered =D>
I shall post the October challenge rules shortly.

Congratulations to all that entered especially the top five, day off tomorrow so hoping to get started on next months challenge although I'm hoping for some devine inspiration overnight as I'm all out of ideas at the moment.

Steve

I am delighted to have come third!!! I thought there were some very good entries in a relatively small field, but even so, as I never do any spindle turning, to get a "podium position" is very pleasing!

Roll on the next challenge.

Thanks to all involved in managing and judging.

Congrats to Dennis! who'd have thought one of our little medals would be winging its way half way round the world!
If you could PM me your address Dennis, I shall get it in the post to you :)

and 3 of the top 5 from Wales!
images

:mrgreen:

Well, they were turned on a Wadkin! What a nice surprise and thanks to all the people who keep the forum going, and the participants as well. It gives me an excuse to get out and turn every month, even with my crazy busy life. Lets see some more entries perhaps for the rest of the year. Thanks again.

I definitely would this month if I had a lathe and was able to turn better than the rest of you . :lol: :lol:
Great entries , some very different interpretations and as ever all looked winners , however the judge
as usual was in agreement with me , almost :lol: :lol:
I think the challenge is well on the road to doing what it set out to do ,which was to encourage members to
improve their turning and to post pictures of what they can do . In the beginning it was a case of IMO being part of the group .
Now I think everyone who posts believes he can win ,and thats the way it should be .
Well done to all who had an entry in September . it could be your turn in October put in your entries
Congrats to the winners .And the Judge.

boysie39":3vesrovi said:
I think the challenge is well on the road to doing what it set out to do ,which was to encourage members to improve their turning and to post pictures of what they can do .

I agree, boysie. I have turned things I would never have thought of doing if I was not involved in the challenge. I only started turning two years ago, joined the challenge this year and have managed 3 placements. Two of these were for things I would not normally turn and as such has moved my turning on to new levels.

I have also posted pictures of other work that I have turned and been pleased with the feedback.

A great deal of credit for the challenge must go to Blister and I hope that the challenge can continue into next year as I fancy a go at a few more things I don't yet know how to turn.

Oh! Nice one, well, I am pretty chuffed with that :) Well done everyone else too!

Now that the challenge is over I can own up to the final turning of elements of my weed pots. When I had turned all three, I lined them up and the middle one looked nothing like the other two, inspite of key dimensions being the same. I had to make a small jam chuck to fit the base of the middle sized pot, and mounted it with some non-slip matting. The tailstock was inserted into the top of the pot with some kitchen towel to prevent marking. I used as little pressure as I could to hold the piece steady, while I (very gently) re-turned the shoulder of the pot to make it a closer match to the other two (I still think it is not quite right, but there you go!!).

It just shows that having key dimensions correct does not guarantee that the pieces will look the same. I'm just glad I was able to resolve the issue before the end of the challenge.

Latest posts

Back