September Challenge ( A Vase ) discussion thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
List of entrants

babylon355
Blister ( Withdrawn )
Bodrighy
callumlovatt
cambournepete
chill
Chris357
Chrisp
clk230
como
Daven ( Ready )
dennisk ( Ready )
DougieH
duncanh ( Ready )
Dust Busker
Elaine
gus3049 ( Ready )
Haldane ( Ready )
Hudson Carpentry ( Ready )
j1mbr0wn ( Ready )
Jonzjob
Jumps ( Ready )
Leo
liamscanlan
loz ( Ready )
maltrout512
matmac
Melinda_dd
miles_hot
monkeybiter
myturn ( Ready )
nev ( Ready )
not_simple_si
Oakbear
OldWood
philb88
Pvt_Ryan ( Withdrawn )
RATWOOD ( Ready )
RO
Silverbirch ( Ready )
spasm
steve66
SVB
tekno.mage
tinytim1458
TheTiddles
tpot
whacky
Wood spoiler ( Ready )

I find myself excited about this months challenge. I have enjoyed taking part every month, but some months have more appeal than others. Indeed nice to get back to big lumps of wood!

I think the criteria will generate a stunning photofest at month end. Hopefully with holidays coming to an end and an interesting challenge it will inspire a good number of entries.

Good luck and get stuck in ... More the merrier.

Started last night !

Well early on this one, just hope my glue up is dry when i get home from work. ( hint there in my hollowing technique !! )

Loz

Shhh !!! Its not segmented i had to take the top off to get inside the bottom !!!!

There is a danger I might be able to submit something this month... the workshop/shed rejig is done, money's in the bank for the new lathe, and the new bench is nearly finished!!

~~~~~~~~~perhaps not..... lathe out of stock, available for dispatch in 4 weeks!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am however terrified something is going to happen with the new lathe (I haven't had much luck in the past with new ones... 1 lasted 15 mins, the replacement about 45... I'm really hoping it's because they were cheap chiwanese ones ...charnwoods w815 .....both went pop and tripped all the electrics in the house)
So I am terrified i'm going to pay a lot more out and that it will do the same!!!

Feel free to try and ease my worry... if not.... a vase hey, should be good fun :)

for those of us without fancy hollowing rigs :cry: can the hollow be a simple drilled hole?

and shouldnt someone stick some glue on the sept challenge thread :?:

nev":vd64s0l8 said:
for those of us without fancy hollowing rigs :cry: can the hollow be a simple drilled hole?

and shouldnt someone stick some glue on the sept challenge thread :?:

Nev

It can be drilling but hollowing would be better as you can taper the hole

Melinda_dd":20zosemh said:
There is a danger I might be able to submit something this month... the workshop/shed rejig is done, money's in the bank for the new lathe, and the new bench is nearly finished!!

~~~~~~~~~perhaps not..... lathe out of stock, available for dispatch in 4 weeks!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am however terrified something is going to happen with the new lathe (I haven't had much luck in the past with new ones... 1 lasted 15 mins, the replacement about 45... I'm really hoping it's because they were cheap chiwanese ones ...charnwoods w815 .....both went pop and tripped all the electrics in the house)
So I am terrified i'm going to pay a lot more out and that it will do the same!!!

Feel free to try and ease my worry... if not.... a vase hey, should be good fun :)

If you go for the Axminster one you SHOULD be fine :wink:

i have a dilemma
O :deer
i have made my vase (almost) which is about 8 inches tall, but i can only hollow to about 50%, thats as deep as my tools, my finger and my skills can go.
So... do i leave it the size it is but only hollowed half way and fall foul of this months rules? :(
or
do i part it off short so i have a smaller vase but then it will fit within the challenge of 80% hollowed? :shock:

help!

it is a nice vase, i think :D

nev":1evd5ott said:
i have a dilemma
O :deer
i have made my vase (almost) which is about 8 inches tall, but i can only hollow to about 50%, thats as deep as my tools, my finger and my skills can go.
So... do i leave it the size it is but only hollowed half way and fall foul of this months rules? :(
or
do i part it off short so i have a smaller vase but then it will fit within the challenge of 80% hollowed? :shock:

help!

it is a nice vase, i think :D

I would comply with the rules or our Judge may exclude your entry :wink:

myturn":nmr4dubm said:
nev":nmr4dubm said:
i have a dilemma
You've missed a few options Nev.

1. Buy or make a longer hollowing tool.

2. Cut 1.6" off the bottom of your ruler :wink:

I would add

3. Treat it as practice and make a new one at less than 5" high..... (hammer)

not really sure about the reference to 'finger' though....have to think about that some more.

jumps":3fctp0zz said:
myturn":3fctp0zz said:
nev":3fctp0zz said:
i have a dilemma
You've missed a few options Nev.

1. Buy or make a longer hollowing tool.

2. Cut 1.6" off the bottom of your ruler :wink:

I would add

3. Treat it as practice and make a new one at less than 5" high..... (hammer)

not really sure about the reference to 'finger' though....have to think about that some more.

how else do you sand down the inside :?:

DID IT :!: it was a bit white knuckle :shock: but managed to use the round scraper to get to depth, 80% to the millimetre :!:
but now i have definitely run out of tool :)
white knuckle turning.JPG

now just got to stretch my fingers (so i can sand it inside Jumps)

Attachments

• white knuckle turning.JPG
    white knuckle turning.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 424
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back