Separate garage insurance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
Hi all,
Our garage is on a separate plot of land, not attached to our main plot. It turns out that this means it is not covered by standard house insurance. Ha anyone here managed to insure a separate building? Who did you use? I have tried some google searches but keep getting dragged back to the big names and their standard offerings.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Phill

I think Zurich still do a homeworkshop insurance and I believe unless you are on an actual working farm of some kind NFU have stopped doing so for hobbyists.

@DrPhill - Did you manage to get anything sorted for your insurance in the end? We have just had a steel framed barn put up on the field next to our house which will contain a workshop (as well as stabling, etc.) and I am really struggling to find an insurer that will cover this for workshop contents (tools, machinery, etc.). Any feedback from your search would be really appreciated, even if it is just the names of a couple of companies that may be able to understand my situation! TIA, Simon

@DrPhill - Did you manage to get anything sorted for your insurance in the end? We have just had a steel framed barn put up on the field next to our house which will contain a workshop (as well as stabling, etc.) and I am really struggling to find an insurer that will cover this for workshop contents (tools, machinery, etc.). Any feedback from your search would be really appreciated, even if it is just the names of a couple of companies that may be able to understand my situation! TIA, Simon
No, I wound up chasing my tail around plenty of sites..... they look like they might do what you want, collect the details, want to phone you..... and then try to sell you something that you don't want. I have to admit defeat.

Oh dear 🤔! I have tried a couple of brokers that seem to typically deal with 'higher value' properties e.g. with stables, tennis courts, etc., and managed to get a quote to insure the barn with adequate workshop contents cover, but it was rather pricey. I'll keep shopping around and see what I can find. If I find a company that will provide what I actually require then I'll post back on here to let you know.

There was a model engineering insurance scheme I used when I had my workshop. Don't have details available but ME magazine forum should help.

Latest posts

Back