Semi rigid ducting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like the corrugations in flex hose it has lots of internal drag. Flex has 3 times the drag of smooth pipe. You wouldn't want to use much especially if your DC is only a horse or two. The only time I ever used any was to connect a 3hp 4 bagger with 6"/150mm to the house furnace ducting. Used it to suck up the dust that I was blowing loose using compressed air. Cold return first and then the hot ducts. It's pretty fragile and gets dented and creased easily. It never got blocked so don't know if it would collapse.

Pete

I use a 2.5m length for floor cleanups, bench tops and my table saw. It works fine with my camvac. So good I’ve never bothered setting up any permanent smooth tubing.

I had some of that semi-rigid stuff for the last run to my bandsaw - it was rubbish. Visibly contracted under pressure. I took it out and did it with spiral steel instead. From this:

bandsawandbroom.jpg

To this:

01%20bandsaw%20ducting.jpg

The semi-rigid stuff can't be used as a flexible hose, and isn't as good as spiral or smooth for permanent installations. The only place it might work is in fixed installations where rigid is impossible/very hard to run.

I used 4" (100mm) rigid brown plastic sewer piping, left overs from other work, for most of my extraction runs. I use small amounts of 4" & 3" plastic spiral flexible for awkward bends.

Back