Semi automatic dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLD

Established Member
Reaction score
I notice from other posts there is electrical knowledge here,my proposal is to mount a shower isolating switch in the centre of my small shop this supplys each m/c that requires extraction and the extractor (which is modified to remove the no volt cut out and is external to the shop) .
So pull the switch extractor runs ,switch on and use the m/c pull the switch when finished (no need to switch of m/c ) saves going out side to switch the extractor . Any body see any problems with this .

OLD

I don't think that I am allowed to answer this. :?
However, if I were, I would suggest that the NVR is best kept operational and you simply extend the wires from the no-volt release through the workshop wall (simply 1.5mm 3-core flexible cable will do) and mount the NVR on the wall. Push for on/off.

OLD,

Would it not be better to mount a second NVR switch box in the workshop, so that the extractor can be switched on and off from either switch. The second switch box is very simple to install and needs to be connected with 4 core cable. One pair in parallel with the ON button and the other in series with the OFF BUTTON.

PADV if you want more details.

Regards

David

Old...

forgive me if this is "over the top".. but I couldn't help but think that there could be some safety issues with the idea. Nothing major... or so I thought to begin with...

First thought was that there's no external indication on a pull switch to show what state the switch is in; easily remedied with the addition of a tell-tale lamp of some sorts...
Then the wireman in me started to run with the ball..

Personally, I'd use a low voltage circuit to control the switching / indication, using a remote relay to switch the power side of the circuit.

Then I started to recall horror stories of imploded DC ducting when the DC was powered up while every blast gate was closed... I remembered seeing a few posts (somewhere) where someone had rigged switches to the blast gates; the DC couldn't be powered up unless at least one of the blast gates was open. Micro-switches connected in series with the zero-volt side of the relay coil would take care of that.

I know.... I know.... keep taking the meds..

<gonna shaddup now...

What about one of these http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=AE071 expensive i know but it should do what you want or make a nice chair give the wife a cuppa and position her near the switch have a light near the de connected via a switch in the worshop. When the lights on she switches the de on when off she turns it off :lol: sorry not much help but tiz late and im getting brain fade (hammer)

Old,

Why fath about with wires and switches when a simple £25 remote control does the job. Ok you have to walk over and pull the flap on each blastgate but the exercise is good... The remote can operate four devices with additional receivers but I only use it for the DC system and has about 100 ft range which just about covers most instances.....

Rgds

Noel

Hi Old,
I have a felder AF22 3hp dust extractor outside my workshop operated by remote control, I have seen the remote for sale in the larger B&Q's

My remote is plugged in to a normal socket with a normal 13amp plug plugged into it. the lead from this then goes to the coil of the contactor for the dust extractor. the dust extractor came with its own nvr start stop switch so was easy to make it operate remotely. it works very well and has been used now for 3 years without even needing the battery in the remote changed.
I have since did a similar setup to control my 2hp vacuum.
The americans have an automatic blast gate option which is operated by a vibration sensor that detects the machine on startup then opens the blast gate etc but this nessesitates wires running all round the workshop to a central hub, i prefered my own method

hope that was of help
Ian

Noely":1o7m1zk3 said:
Why fath about with wires and switches when a simple £25 remote control does the job. The remote can operate four devices with additional receivers but I only use it for the DC system and has about 100 ft range which just about covers most instances.....

Do have a link to such a beast (the £25 remote) ?

I've got an NVR switch on my extractor (ADE1200), but it seems rather attached and looks awkward to remove to make it remote to the extractor - any thoughts?

Pete

If the extractor is outside the workshop, why not leave it running all of the time? No remote or wiring required.

They use very little electricity and induction motor bearings are rated for continuous use

Let's try again....

Hi Pete,

Here's the remote and receiver:
HomelecKit.jpg

And here's the spec:
HomelecSpec.jpg

As Ian mentioned B & Q may stock them and I've seen them in various electrical outlets. Priced from about £25 upwards. Think I got mine from Camvac at a show for cash.
I imagine you'll have to bypass or isolate the NVR on your DC but canny advise you how. Homelec telephone number is listed but don't think they have a web presence.
As well as saving the hassle of walking to and fro to the DC the remote gives you no excuse not to use extraction.

Rgds

Noel

Tony,

Suppose you could leave it running but two things come to mind:
Switching blastgates will momentarily leave the system starved of air and, speaking personally, not sure I could leave a motor running continously when not in use, just doesn't seem right.

Rgds

Noel

Here's the Homelec contact details:
Homelec
Low voltage light fittings distribs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Telephone and fax
Tel: (01582) 544510
Fax: (01582) 544511

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address
Kings Way Ho
Laporte Way
Luton
LU4 8RJ

Rgds

Noel

Noely

In industry induction motors are often left runnig 24/7 on conveyors etc.

They are designed for continuous use and there is little force excerted against the bearings. As long as the fan on the rear is blowing along the fins OK (No rubbish in the fins) then it will be OK

The bearings are sealed and no rotating parts touch, thus there is no maintenance required other than a quick clean every 4 months or so

I have read all your comments and i think i am going to stick with my original proposal . The shop is small with only one of three m/c running at one time on the proposed circuit as the bs&pt have to be moved to the work position i will only have two blast gates i have tested the extractor on full blockage and nothing collapses the shavings just stop spinning .
Modifying the extractor nvr is straight forward two wires in two out connect together remove relay unit plate over.The shower isolating switch has a live indication built in .
Its simple and cheap and if you unplug the extractor for maintenance no safety problems.
I hope this reply does not upset anybody as i value all of your comments.

Latest posts

Back