Selling!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melzy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all!!

In my spare time, i make bespoke mirrors, coffee ables and carvings, and i would really like to sell them one day {once i have made a small bulk}...I have no idea where i can go to get my foot in the door? I would be VERY grateful for as much help as possible!

Many Thanks

Melzy!!

Melzy":1s09p94i said:
Hi all!!

In my spare time, i make bespoke mirrors, coffee ables and carvings, and i would really like to sell them one day {once i have made a small bulk}...I have no idea where i can go to get my foot in the door? I would be VERY grateful for as much help as possible!

Many Thanks

Melzy!!

Hello Melzy,

have you any pictures of your work you wish to sell and maybe a price list for reference?

cheers

Melzy":3f82wt1e said:
In my spare time, i make bespoke mirrors, coffee ables and carvings, and i would really like to sell them one day ...I have no idea where i can go to get my foot in the door? ....

Sounds to me you have got your business model somewhat screwed, you do have one I presume, most people investigate the market and decide on an approach to follow before committing to make a product.

Have you investigated the craft outlets in your area.
Local (farmers) market stalls etc.
Are you doing this just for pocket money or a means of serious income.
Have you considered the tax implications once you start selling to the public.
Have you considered the public liability aspects. (mirrors, toughend glass if needed for instance)

Start small and local, go to your local craft shows in the local town halls etc and talk to the stall holders and organisers. There is no point spending more that £30 £45 on a show for the first few times. Start small and any mistakes you may make will have little impact and you will also learn lots from talking the other stall holders. Some days you will have a good day, sometimes you sell nothing. It can be good fun.

Well, I can offer some help but it won't be what you want to hear, I fear.

You are setting out to sell the sort of thing tthat can be made in the far east, or even eastern europe, put on a container and sold in bulk on ebay and all sorts of other outlets at prices that would barely cover the cost of the materials in this country. And those are the prices that people have become accustomed to. So the first thing to realise is that you are not going to make any actual profit. If that's not an issue you still have the problem of getting the stuff in front of people and that in itself will cost you money, one way or another.

If you still want to give it a go, try a craft fair but expect not to sell a single item and you won't be too far wrong. My advice is to keep your woodwork as a hobby, and once you've filled your own house with nice furniture keep on making and just give the pieces to friends and relatives.

Hi a few options for you

As indicated already try local craft fairs
Don’t forget ebay and other on line sites like gum tree
Get you mirrors / Sculptures into local art galleries and gift shops on a commission only basis (they get X% for selling the item)
Setup a web site and do Google ad words based on competitors names

Hope this helps
Jon

I would like to see some pictures of your work if you have any.

Many of the comments on here are based on the traditional fare...craft objects say, of "sell-able" quality and by and large are the right advice.

At the other end of the spectrum, you may be creating works of art or original designs which go beyond the craft functionality into the realms of one-off pieces of art....we simply don't know.

Post some pictures and feedback can be made based on images rather than descriptions.

Jim

Input 019.....jpg

I can't seem to put any more pictures on as the files 'are too big'. This is one of the first pieces i have made. Don't be too harsh as iknow i still have plenty to learn!! Not quite sure what fnish to put on each item as yet...i am still experimenting for the best!!

Attachments

• Input 019.....jpg
    Input 019.....jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 303
Hi all!!

Most of the things i have made, i have given to my famil as gifts! But now...i have decided to make a bulk of things so i can have a little stock of pictures to show everyone, and perhaps sell one day?!! I have tried ebay but these days everyone is looking for a bargain!! {who can blame them really!!} I shall succeed in doing what i love, i just need the encouragement from others!

Mel!

Lord Kitchener":21mrt5f5 said:

You are setting out to sell the sort of thing tthat can be made in the far east, or even eastern europe, put on a container and sold in bulk on ebay and all sorts of other outlets at prices that would barely cover the cost of the materials in this country. And those are the prices that people have become accustomed to. So the first thing to realise is that you are not going to make any actual profit. If that's not an issue you still have the problem of getting the stuff in front of people and that in itself will cost you money, one way or another.

If you still want to give it a go, try a craft fair but expect not to sell a single item and you won't be too far wrong. My advice is to keep your woodwork as a hobby, and once you've filled your own house with nice furniture keep on making and just give the pieces to friends and relatives.

Why so pessimistic? A bit crappy if you ask me

Oh wow! Thanks!! The patterns are all hand carved with the normal chisel!! I have made another a little smaller and have 2 more in the making!

looks good to me too :) but i was a little confused wondering where the request came from and which bits were turned :? (as its in the lathe/ turning section) but after a little detective work...
think it should have been added to this post ...
post631713.html#p631713
over in the general woodworking forum.
but anyway, nice box =D>

Melzy":2jgvzi3n said:
I can't seem to put any more pictures on as the files 'are too big'.
Yes the forum software is set to limit the File size to 256Kb or smaller.
There are numerous ways to achieve this with free software, what operating system are you using, so that someone can point you to an easy solution, a one click method I use is "Image resizer" once installed on your system right clicking you images gives the option to save under a new name in several sizes as required. anything less than 1024 pixels is normally well within the 256Kb limit.

Back to the Casket, nothing to be reserved about with that quality, excellent.

CHJ":2uiubqv3 said:
Melzy":2uiubqv3 said:
I can't seem to put any more pictures on as the files 'are too big'.
Yes the forum software is set to limit the File size to 256Kb or smaller.
There are numerous ways to achieve this with free software, what operating system are you using, so that someone can point you to an easy solution, a one click method I use is "Image resizer" once installed on your system right clicking you images gives the option to save under a new name in several sizes as required. anything less than 1024 pixels is normally well within the 256Kb limit.

Back to the Casket, nothing to be reserved about with that quality, excellent.

Good idea!! I shall check out the photo resizer!! I am new to this still!!
Mel

nev":2rdfpmvc said:
looks good to me too :) but i was a little confused wondering where the request came from and which bits were turned :? (as its in the lathe/ turning section) but after a little detective work...
think it should have been added to this post ...
post631713.html#p631713
over in the general woodworking forum.
but anyway, nice box =D>

Haha!! oh woops!! I did wonder why 'woodturning' kept cropping up!! I think it is obvious that i am very new to this site!! haha!! thanks for the heads up!

Mel

Picture as requested!! {I somehow posted it on the woodturning forum! oops!!} This was one of the first pieces i made...please don't be too harsh as i know i have plenty to learn still!!

Mel

Mod edit: threads merged (from turning) to put all replies in on place.

mark270981":g12ocwg7 said:
Lord Kitchener":g12ocwg7 said:

Why so pessimistic? A bit crappy if you ask me

Are you suggesting that what I said was crappy, or that pessimism in general is crappy?

At what point does realism become pessimism?

Anyway, the pictures of Melzy's products look very nice, but the topic is selling, not making. Melzy hasn't yet told us whether he is hoping to actually make a profit on the items he wants to sell, and when he does, he ideally ought to give us an idea of what kind of hourly rate he has in mind.

It goes like this- cost of materials plus gross profit = selling price.
Out of the gross profit will need to come the other expenses such as advertising, consumables, heat and light etc
gross profit - expenses = nett profit
hourly rate = nett profit divided by total hours spent on project (including selling, wrapping, trip to post office if relevant)

Example jewellery box, materials £5 selling price £25, gross profit £20 less expenses £15. Total time expended 4 hours, hourly rate £3.75. So, IF he could achieve that price and time, AND he's happy with £3.75 an hour, then all is well. But if he needs £10 an hour then the selling price will have to go up to £40 + £5 expenses + £5 materials Total £50, with the consequesnt effect on sales levels.

Only he can tell us what he has in mind.

Latest posts

Back