Selling things

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timber

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a hell of a lot of stuff to get rid of I do have a few reply to adds but The rules of this out of date site make it very difficult... I have some days I can't do much in the way of brain work.
Thanks charley in a few days more to make sure I am not letting anyone down who want to purchase from me. I am leaving this forum and going ebay.

What rules are you struggling with? If anything it's probably easier to list here than eBay once you've got the knack of it, you've got a targeted audience and you don't have to pay ANY fees.

And in addition to the above advantages, by advertising here at least you KNOW that every reader has at least an interest (in principle) in whatever it is you're offering.

As a PC klutz myself I will not pretend that advertising here is very easy, but 5 minutes careful effort shows that it's not so hard.

What I find the most annoying when I take the trouble to say what I have for sale and try to get them to email me they don't If they do sometime dont even let me know thats it not what they want, Leaving me in limbo If I could just drag and drop pics Instead of all the faffing about. My head could cope I am 85 and not too well Sorry for any mistakes
Richard
They do say manners maketh man
All my stuff has to go quickly That is why Ebay wins If it does not go quickly it goes to the scrapp yard.
Richard

I sympathise, but surely, there are plenty of people who show initial interest ("perhaps") but then disappear, wherever you advertise?

The main issues when you're selling bulky and heavy items is that you really need local buyers especially if you don't want to send via courier and that's something you'll have even more trouble with on ebay as at least on the forum you can be pretty sure the members will be trustworthy and as said we all have a common interest. I looked at some of your items ( didn't express an interest ) but your location is way too far from me to be practicable.

Might be worth you listing your items for free on Facebook marketplace though just the usual caveats of pay cash and careful social distancing but you would get local buyers.

Sorry you're giving up, happens to us all eventually I guess. :(

Timber, perhaps one of the other forum members near you can come give you a hand.
I hate to think that you are facing the tribulation of having to give up your hobby and tools but also being forced to end up getting far less for than you should.

Richard

If you have never used eBay you are in for a shock but good luck with listing your tools there.

You will find that "collection only" limits your market massively. People will be wary if you have little feedback as a seller, and unless you wait for one of the cheap deals, fees are quite high.

I do agree that not being able to drag and drop photos here is a pain. It is a major factor that stops me posting illustrated threads here, as I do not like hosting on third party sites; l hence I am stuck with the tedious resize and select performance that we have here (excellent resource though it is).

Maybe another option is for you to auction all of your stuff via a local auctioneer. Certainly better than taking it to the tip.

Kind regards, Adrian

PS Charley has not visited the board since 20 September 2019. I suspect your point is falling on deaf ears Richard. Forums with advanced features cost money to run. This forum is not very monetised. It is more like a club.

I've actually found way more time wasters on this site than out in the wild of Gumtree and Facebook marketplace, that really surprised me.

Gumtree is the fastest way to list I find

Aidan

Richard,

It might help a little bit if you post the first part of your postcode.
That way interested buyers know roughly how far they are going to need to travel.

I sympathise with your reluctance to get involving the hassle of posting heavy items.

lurker":1xuzfq81 said:
Richard,

That way interested buyers know roughly how far they are going to need to travel.

I sympathise with your reluctance to get involving the hassle of posting heavy items.

He's in Stamford.
One of the frustrations of the current software is that so many members don't know that clicking on someone's name or picture brings up their profile, including whatever location they have entered.
Location used to be visible without clicking. White space is fashionable now.

AndyT":33gso7xm said:
lurker":33gso7xm said:
Richard,

He's in Stamford.
One of the frustrations of the current software is that so many members don't know that clicking on someone's name or picture brings up their profile, including whatever location they have entered.
Location used to be visible without clicking. White space is fashionable now.

Yes I saw that, however in one of his sales posts he says he is just north of Bedford. That's why first part of his postcode would remove any confusion.

If posting pictures via the website is an onerous task then I did a guide a while ago that should see you through using a hosting site in short order. Once you've done the first pic the rest will be a breeze.
post1294603.html?hilit=imgur%20guide%20a%20warning#p1294603
I hope this helps. It's a little old now but it should get you there.
As others say, location in the title of the post is helpful.
Ebay will reach a bigger audience but not a focused one and lots of buyers won't go near a new seller with little history especially on machinary. Add on the fees and the free forum option starts to look appealing especially if you sell with buyer arranges the courier.
I've not tried Gumtree to sell, but be careful. Cash Only on pickup.
Good luck with your sales.

Hi to you all. I have just moved from The Stamford area to here in Bedford area (Just north off ) post code is MK so even that would confuse folk
Regards
Richard

Best wishes Richard I hope you can get your sales sorted, the suggestion that maybe someone local can help is a good one if there's anyone near you willing to help. I'd certainly have offered but Northumberland is just a bit too far to travel.
cheers
Bob

I shifted quite a bit of stuff via facebook market place earlier this year. Good enough kit not being used, just taking up space. A quite heavy home built cnc machine down to a B&D type workmate. All gone fairly quickly for good prices, all picked up except one where I met the guy halfway. Quickest was small generator gone in 55 mins.

Back