Selling on ebay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smithy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Over the last few years I have been doing the craft markets and although I enjoy them they can be a bit hit and miss. In order to improve my chances of selling I am considering using eBay. Not on auction but buy now. I would like to know of anybody else's experiences. Or if anybody has any advice/words of caution.

Thanks

Mike

I've been selling on eBay since 1999 and over the years in has changed dramatically but I continue in a small way.

Almost all buyers will want to use PayPal.

The combined cost to the seller of PayPal and eBay fees is about 15% of the total paid, including post and packing, by the buyer. (Yes, eBay and PayPal take their cut of the P/P).

Their are many "free listing" promotions so take advantage of these.

You'll have to register as a business seller so will be subject to all the distance selling regulations.

A great deal of my stuff is sold to overseas buyers. Don't limit yourself to just the UK.

Hi Roger. Many thanks for the info. The fees don't seem to bad. When I consider the price I pay for a stand and the cost of transport the fees compare favourably. I don't intend to sell in a big way but will try my luck.

Mike

Good luck Mike!

I was referring to eBay UK of course.
I know nothing about eBay France and there could be major differences.
You'll need to check.

Mike, Roger I don't want to hijack this thread but have either of you used Etsy? I know SWMBO has bought off that site, but I'm not sure about selling costs.

Baldhead

I forgot to mention that really good photos and plenty of them help enormously.

Baldhead":2c93vt72 said:
Mike, Roger I don't want to hijack this thread but have either of you used Etsy? I know SWMBO has bought off that site, but I'm not sure about selling costs.
Baldhead
I tried it. Cheaper fees but nowhere near the responses as eBay. Seems mainly US and sewing, knitting, clothing and that sort of stuff.

I understand that within the Eurozone, payments by Euro to domestic (within Eurozone) accounts are free, so may be worthwhile to offer that as an option (as well as PayPal) - it'll help your profit margins. However, this may negate buyer protection (I'm not familiar with Fench ebay rules).

Otherwise, endorse what others are saying - good pics and description.

Are you multi-lingual e.g. can offer different language descriptions?

Back