Selling multico morticer for Domino

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selwyn

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking of selling my not often used multico m3 to part fund a Domino 700.

Any opinions?

If you’re not using your morticer that often what are you envisioning that you’ll use the domino a lot for?

A few years ago my circumstances changed dramatically overnight, my business went from a big fully equipped workshop to small double garage size premises with just a few power tools. I quickly bought a few cheap machines but went for a Domino 700 instead of a morticer.

I managed for a while with just the Domino but ended up getting a lovely big old cast iron Robinson morticer (for about a third of the price of the Domino #-o).

The Domino doesn't get used that much now, it is useful for some things but more often then not things get a proper m+t.

It all depends what you will be using it for. I normally use the Domino for cupboard doors and some internal joinery. I made quite a complicated greenhouse last year with some strange angles/shapes in it and the Domino was brilliant for that but most of my work is traditional doors and windows which lend themselves to a proper m+t.

It is an amazing bit of kit, I think one of the best tools available.

There’s nothing stopping you cutting traditional mortises with a domino after all it is a hand held mortiser, I use my 700 for mortises on big joinery I find it easier in a small shop to take the machine to the wood rather than the other way round, plus it freed up a lot of space when I got rid of my mortiser. I even do wedged mortise & tenons cutting the mortise with the domino then finishing with a chisel.

As Doug B says you can do traditional mortises and big stuff with the DF 700.

Here are my drive gates which I made to test out my DF 700 when I first got it, they were only meant to be temporary so didn't matter if they fell apart after a couple of years but they are still fine after over 5 years despite the lack of paint.

The top rail was a proper m+t using the Domino to cut the mortise but the middle and bottom rails were just joined to the stiles using dominos, standard beech ones which aren't really for external use.

Each gate is 6' high and just over 6' wide.

gates 1.jpg

gates 2.jpg

Attachments

• gates 1.jpg
    gates 1.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 130
  • gates 2.jpg
    gates 2.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 108
Doug, what dominos did you use on the greenhouse? did you buy the Sipo ones?

marcros":1rz9w2gp said:
Doug, what dominos did you use on the greenhouse? did you buy the Sipo ones?

I make my own dominos and tend to make them out of the same timber as whatever I am building so on the greenhouse they were accoya.

I also make my own as I often use the Domino on the wider setting or do a double plunge to get a wider mortise.

Back