Selling advice? Which planer to get rid of?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbmcg

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have bit of a dilemma and wondered what advice folk would give me

I have a Scheppach HM2 planer (Older model identical mechanically to HMS260 but slightly different stand) along with the TFE30 spindle moulder attachment for it and a 30mm bore cutter block. It is in good condition mechanically but a little tatty. It still gives an excellent finish as it has the rubber infeed roller.

The TFE30 can be seen on the NMA site below

http://www.nmauk.com/sitepages/06_Scheppach.html

However I also have a Record (Lurem) Former RD26 planer which is in absolutely brand spanking new condition. It doesn't give quite as good a finish as the scheppach especially on pine and softer hardwoods I guess due to the serated infeed roller.

I generally look around for woodworking machinery at keen prices and have recently acquired a virtually brand new axminster SSM spindle moulder (retails £1100) for £200 because it had a broken fence - new part from axminster £10.12

Anyway, to the point, now that I have a dedicated spindle moulder I don't need the TFE30 attachment, and at the same time I don't need two planers either.

So what should I do?

1) Sell the TFE30 and the Scheppach?

2) Sell the TFE30 and the Record?

Any advice?

Cheers
Robert

Robert,

Despite the Scheppach being older, I'd say lose the Record. The Lurem machines aren't frankly much cop in my experience, but you'll certainly get a better price for one like new. And if the Scheppach is giving you a better finish, the decision is practically made for you. Maybe check that spares will still be available for it first, but other wise no contest. Dunno if it's practical, but maybe keeping the spindle moulder attachment would be a good idea. Perhaps set up for a repetative task? (I gave up waiting for NMA's jpeg to download so I'm not familiar with that bit of kit)

Cheers, Alf

just to add to Alf's notes, spares are readily available and there are no plans to discontinue this model.

Mark":2n2ifryy said:
Which are you looking to sell I am after a planer thicknesser?

After consideration I think I am going to do the "daft" thing and keep the Record RD26. The scheppach gives a better finish simply because of the rubber rollers but the Record is just so much smoother to use, has a longer bed, is eaisier to adjust, and if you take at least a 1mm cut it goes a long way to planing off the seration marks from the infeed roller.

The Scheppach is older and maybe showing it's age a little although with a little TLC it would probably be absolutely perfect. I just don't have the time or the inclination to do it. (The spindle moulder attachment raise/lower handle has the little staight bit broken off the wheel for example so you have to turn it using the wheel itself - not major, just annoying a new wheel would be about £20 I imagine)

Anybody who wants to make me an offer can contact me on

[email protected]

Remember to remove the NOSPAM from the address first though :wink:

Shipping to anywhere on the UK on a pallet can be done for £50 the last time I checked. I am based in Glasgow.

PS I will probably list it on ebay on Monday night if nobody makes a decent offer

Latest posts

Back