Sell and replace or keep and store ???????????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hummm :-k

In the not too distant future I will be on the move ( House )

The new property is described as needing some updating :lol: , its still as it was in the 70s

Its on a plot of land twice the size of my current home

Downside , it has no workshop or sheds or garage , but loads of room for a big workshop :mrgreen:

My problem is what to do with all my current equipment ?

Do I sell it off and replace in a year's time ( Not a good time to sell at the moment )

Or do I put it in storage ( No idea what the cost will be on this as I have quite a bit of equipment )

One things for sure , I WONT BE SELLING THE LATHE :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So bit of a (homer) moment to decide what to do :idea: when and if the time comes

If it is good stuff store it you can get a lot in a small space and it will probably work out cheaper than selling now at reduced prices and replacing later when the prices have gone up.

john

I like Andy's idea, but I can do one better.. :D Get the container and have in placed in the garden then run a power supply out to it and viola instant workshop.. :D or buy a large shed and do the same.

or perhaps if there is someone you trust near you they may be willing to store it for you.

andyoaks":2dcfp1n1 said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/storage-container-40-x-8ft-/110750450417?pt=UK_BOI_Containers_Pre_Fab_Buildings_ET&hash=item19c93dc2f1

Have it dropped, use it and then sell on when you are done.

Selling gear always worries me, are you going to be able to replace the gear for what you get for it now?

That's a good idea :idea:

I wonder if you need planning permission to have a steel container at your home :?:

Cheers for that :mrgreen:

Pvt_Ryan":e03hce2y said:
I like Andy's idea, but I can do one better.. :D Get the container and have in placed in the garden then run a power supply out to it and viola instant workshop.. :D or buy a large shed and do the same.

or perhaps if there is someone you trust near you they may be willing to store it for you.

no no don't do it. Some time a go at a garage business I ran we converted a container into a office. In the sumer months it was a nightmare. When the phone rang we would bicker like school kids who was getting it. Run in, anwser phone, get the hell out before you cooked.

We had our things in storage while we were renovating our house and living in various rented accommodation (and a caravan over winter :roll: ) The unit was approx. 30 x 8 x 8, and costed £40 a week. But this is Wales, not the South East so I guess prices would be a bit more there?

For the cost of storage you could either build or buy a shed to put your tools and machinery in, and then they would be on hand for the job.

Mark

You adopt the way you work to your tools. Selling the old and buying new would feel like working with someone elses tools for 10 years until you have adopted. Not a good idea.
Unless your tools are the cheapest kind of chineese junk it would be a considerable economical loss to sell secondhand and buy new. It is the function you need and not the bright paintwork. In fact there are some tools that cannot be bought new at any cost. Finding secondhand takes a lot of time.
Store everything that is of reasonable quality and sell the junk.

Keep them, as mentioned before you are already 'familiar' with them and the costs involved in re-tooling for the new place are best to be avoided.

Ref the shipping containers...

Storage rental can vary a fair bit from company to company so ring around, the £40 for a 30 footer sounds a little bit on the dear side.

Dont buy a 'cheap' container without looking at it properly - a 40 footer for £500 will be a pile of rubbish.

Not sure what the previous poster did to 'convert' a container into an office but none of ours have ever been ovens :D

Prolly no planning needed for the box in the back garden (portable building/8'6" tall), but best to check before going all in.

Dont forget to factor in moving the box into the costs, hi-ab lorry.

And yes I do work for a container company (hammer)

If your new house is secluded then the container is a good idea. However if someone moved in next to me and plonked one of them in the garden I would be mightily unimpressed.

Mark

I'm in this state at the mo. I've moved all my stuff into a barn at a pig farm. It's not pretty. It should have been all secure, or at least out of sight, but the farmer didn't get round to removing a 1960s Mini out of the way, so some is locked away out of sight and some is there for all the world to see. I'm not happy, but can't do much about it.

But it's cheap, we've agreed £25 per month, although if my stuff goes AWOL it may end up being rather less of a bargain.
S

Steve Maskery":xz0jt5e6 said:
I'm in this state at the mo. I've moved all my stuff into a barn at a pig farm. It's not pretty. It should have been all secure, or at least out of sight, but the farmer didn't get round to removing a 1960s Mini out of the way, so some is locked away out of sight and some is there for all the world to see. I'm not happy, but can't do much about it.

But it's cheap, we've agreed £25 per month, although if my stuff goes AWOL it may end up being rather less of a bargain.
S

Just seen your new location Steve, Good curry house in Edwinstowe, shame the royal oak has closed down.

Hope things are on the up for you, best wishes.

Doug.

The Royal Oak has re-opened this week, refurbished. I didn't know it before, so I don't know if it's an improvement. You can help me rate it one evening if you like:)
S

I didn`t realise it was closed for refurbishment, that is good news, they used to do a good meal.

I`d happily nip over for a pint, I do occasionally like to imbibe, not that anyone could tell :-"

Cheers.

Hi, Chaps

Let me know when you going an I will pop in as well.

Pete

Latest posts

Back