Self Tapping grub screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most grub screws are hardened and will self tap into the right size hole in soft material like melamine/MDF, once taped into place remove and harden the thread with CA, perhaps even machine screws may be better they certainly tap into perspex.

Mike

Just use a tap to tap the holes, then as above harden with thin CA then tap again. Wood and plastics tap very well with a sharp HSS tap.

Threaded inserts spring to mind but are probably a softer metal than grub screws.

Hi Peter,
I'm just completing a table which requires steel legs to be attached to the underside. I had some Insert Nuts (Screwfix) 'in stock' which I thought would do the job. However I found that when trying to screw them into Am. Walnut using the allen key hex hole they failed - they're only zinc alloy. I got round the problem by boring a full diameter hole and aralditing them in. A better method of screwing them in as intended would be to screw in a bolt and use a spanner rather than the allen key socket. This would probably work with MDF. I'll give it a try if you wish.
Brian (read my ID backwards)

Hi Brian, good to hear from you and hope your all well!

I think I have found some good quality inserts at Tappex and will give them a try. They will need to be adjustable as I am trying to make some table inserts for use with Felder table saws. I am having a Dado head produced and will be looking to sell the inserts to work with it for our customers and they will need to level them to suit their own saws.

https://www.tappex.co.uk/

Cheers Peter

Latest posts

Back