"Self shaping furniture"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard_C

Established Member
Reaction score
No, really.

I put this in the design section because it was in the design supplement email from the Guardian. Could just as well have gone in 'off topic general interest'. Furniture that arrives flat and bends to the right shape, strikes me that it needs real precision in design and control of the timber they use. I found it interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...text=The flatpack furniture that makes itself

What an interesting idea, but I see it as a solution for a problem which doesn't exist. Flatpack is heavy enough without soaking it with water.
"Think building components such as roofs, columns, or entire houses that shape silently without construction workers or cranes" Not sure I like the idea of an entire house self shaping in Scotland!! Every day it would be a different shape as the moisture content changes.

I thought the hemp article was interesting. More creative use of plant products as an alternative to oil derived plastics, synthetics etc.
Nothing new about it of course, cotton, linen and many others well established back to the stone age (probably).
We got given some hemp logs for our wood burner HempLogz Hemp briquettes | Kingdom Firewood which seem OK. Quite heavy, dense, clean - so handy for storage compared to scrap wood.

Back