Self-destructing Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Barto

👍
Reaction score
Turning some chair legs yesterday one of the motor pulleys decided to spontaneously combust and now my lathe doesn't work.

Does anyone know where I can get a pulley set for a Draper WTL90?!

X96ULy8.jpg

8dKlp4X.jpg

Axminster used to have spares that could be persuaded to fit most clones of this drive.
Worth a call to see if they still stock them.

Update: Axminster said that they wouldn't supply me with a spare part because I wasn't using an Axminster product. I will have to call back and hopefully get someone else and then say I'm using an Axminster lathe and se if that works.

Charnwood are out of stock until February. Argh!

The parts you want must be available. Our local men's shed had green Nu-tools and yellow Axminster perform versions of this. I'm sure it's a generic design badged in many differnt colours. One died and someone sourced a new cast 2 part pulley that I fitted.
The lesson I learnt from stripping it down is that you MUST periodically lube the spindle where the two sides of the alloy pulley slide. It's a questionable design to need to lube a spindle inside a pulley where oil is at risk of being spun out onto the pulley cheeks where the belt rides, but without oil, the variable speed mechanism eventually gets stiff and gums up.
Over lube it and you'll get a belt soaked in oil slipping on the pulley. I've seen that too.
Keep hunting - I'm sure you'll find the part you need.

Axminster supplied pullys for my Draper WLT90 back in 2012
Headstock pully set for CCL CCBL 700205 700206 - Part CCLSPSET
Motor pully set for CCL CCBL 700205 700206 - Part CCLMPSET

New pulley ordered. I just told Axminster that I had a lathe of theirs that fitted the part number Robbo3 gave. Sorted, cost about £25.

Thanks all.

Spooky my lathe did exactly the same thing last week - just the other pulleys and Axminster said the same thing but then relented thankfully but having dismantled the pulleys I can’t get the second one off and can’t find any advice on line. I’ve undone the lower bolt but what else is holding the wheel on??!

Abw":2o9g94i1 said:
Spooky my lathe did exactly the same thing last week - just the other pulleys and Axminster said the same thing but then relented thankfully but having dismantled the pulleys I can’t get the second one off and can’t find any advice on line. I’ve undone the lower bolt but what else is holding the wheel on??!

This thread of any use?

With the help of a mallet I managed to get the second pulley off as the pulley wheel was well and truely jammed on and it appeared all was good however when I checked the spindle on the pulley is 25mm and the inside of the bearings it has to go into is 20. Everything else appears well though. Anyone got any ideas as to how I get round this? Can I get bearing that are the same externally and have larger gap internally?? Everything was going so well!☹️

Latest posts

Back