self assesment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
hi
i need to fill in online my self assessment forms for my tax but cant find the page i need to log into, anyone know it..

TIA

thanks guys, i have hobby that brings me about £1300 a year, shame its spoilt by having to pay tax on it..

There is advice out there for small businesses not to complete returns on line, probably doesn't affect you Steve if t/o is only £1300 pa.
Apparently it's automatically fed into software which analyses and compares against similar businesses leading to often unnecessary enquiries if yours doesn't "fit the model" :roll: It doesn't happen so often if paper due to procedures and work load.
You don't have to have done anything wrong to be subjected to a heavy handed approach it seems.

The only downside to submitting in paper form is they've brought the date for submission forward to October instead of January.

There's nowt wrong with my tax returns btw, it's just info I was given by a reliable source!

B ob

why is the tax site so stupid, i have filled in most of the questions but needed to amend one section, it wont let me amend it as i have to go to my overview and delete the entire tax form and start again, bloody stupid..

Lons":3axp4cie said:
There is advice out there for small businesses not to complete returns on line, probably doesn't affect you Steve if t/o is only £1300 pa.
Apparently it's automatically fed into software which analyses and compares against similar businesses leading to often unnecessary enquiries if yours doesn't "fit the model" :roll: It doesn't happen so often if paper due to procedures and work load.
You don't have to have done anything wrong to be subjected to a heavy handed approach it seems.

The only downside to submitting in paper form is they've brought the date for submission forward to October instead of January.

There's nowt wrong with my tax returns btw, it's just info I was given by a reliable source!

B ob

I have heard this as well, but from what I was told it tends to be the market traders and the like who hand a lot of cash that get flagged up more often than not.

I use an accountant to file my return, it costs money, but I think that because he puts through the little things and gets my capital allowances right, the money he saves me in tax and the time he saves me having to figure out what I can claim and what I can't claim it is worth doing.

Also he can argue with HMRC if there is a query.

Which means I can get on with what I am meant to be doing.

I have not always done this but find that it makes life easier.

I do my own VAT ( sorry the Mrs does it ).

I noticed this morning that they are really starting to look at Ebay a lot harder than in the past, and I suspect a lot of people are in for a shock.

The other thing that people don't realise is that you have to prove you have not done anything wrong, and not the HMRC proving you have.

Tom

Bloody stupid site now tells me 'according to their records' i have a code for unpaid tax on my P60, no i dont, and i cant move any futher until i can fill it in, god i am so pineappled off ATM..

I sent in a tax return in 2009 for a hobby business. I ended owing just short of £400 in tax which I paid. I then got a letter telling me not to bother completing a return unless my circumstances change?!

Now £400 isn't a lot of money but times it by 5000 people or whatever figure they are turning away and that's a fairly large revenue stream?

billybuntus":2y0sr3gj said:
Now £400 isn't a lot of money but times it by 5000 people or whatever figure they are turning away and that's a fairly large revenue stream?

Depends how much it costs them to process your return! Remember it's a governmental department you're talking about there...

stevebuk":wplef793 said:
why is the tax site so stupid, i have filled in most of the questions but needed to amend one section, it wont let me amend it as i have to go to my overview and delete the entire tax form and start again, bloody stupid..

There is a facility to save what you have already done and go back to it another time. Don't ask me how to do it as, after completeing a return for the past twelve years I so, I now find that I satisfy all the criteria for not completing a return :D

Latest posts

Back