Self adhesive real wood veneers.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britman

Chip of the old block
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Been looking at real wood self adhesive veneers.

I've never used them before, are they any good or best avoided.

Or am I best going regular veneer and using contact adhesive?

The price seems pretty bad God compared to veneered MDF or Ply.

It depends very much on what you're looking to veneer.
Using regular veneer you will need to be able to press the veneer onto your substrate using a press, a vacuum bag or several cauls depending on the size of panel you are going to use. Even with self adhesive ones I would suggest applying pressure if you can.
For larger panels, then veneered MDF / Ply isn't a bad option especially if you can a matching edge strip.

Cheers, the area isn't massive and the substrate will be MDF.
Are they prone to separating after a few years?

I've only used a ready glue coated veneer once. I obtained a large batch of veneer offcuts and leftovers from a company closing down. This particular veneer, sapele, was probably made for application in an industrial manufacturing process. The adhesive was PVA. I used it for small items and applied it using a hot ironing iron working slowly across the workpiece. I've also used PVA sheet using the same iron-on method. No particular problems but you do need to keep a bit of pressure on the veneer behind the iron as the glue cools. This was traditionally done with a veneer hammer.
Brian

I have some experience with this stuff. I built a set of high quality hi-fi speakers about 3 years ago. Made from 18mm MDF. The goal was to produce a pair that sounded top notch AND looked good as well. After some research online about veneers and veneering (never done it before) I settled for some american walnut that was backed with an adhesive coating. I found it easy to use but beware, there is no possibility of moving the stuff once its made contact with the MDF. It really sticks! After 3 years there is no sign of any lifting. Happily use and recommend this stuff. I'll see if I can dig out the supplier's details and post them here

Attachments

• IMG_20170814_114208748_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20170814_114208748_HDR~2.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 10
Back