Selection of Boxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Well at this stage one at least but as I am going to make a few over the next week or so I decided to post them here as I make them.

Today's effort is Laburnum finished with sander sealer and woodwax22, I would have done more but I stopped to cook the wife a meal for a change. And yes she is still alive :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, I have included a photo of the ones from yesterday with the lids off

Laburnum Box (856x1024).jpg

Three boxes open (1024x768).jpg

Attachments

• Laburnum Box (856x1024).jpg
    Laburnum Box (856x1024).jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 487
  • Three boxes open (1024x768).jpg
    Three boxes open (1024x768).jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 409
I guess you are on a mission, bit early for Christmas boxes. :)

It's good to hone the process methods with a run of similar forms.

Very nice boxes Derek, I especially like the spalted one with the inserted rim, classy!

Thank you, Chas and Kim.

Another box which was not on the to-do list as I have prepared blanks for the boxes but yesterday we were meant to have a professional demonstrater at the club who did not turn up(at this time reason unknown).
I ended up demonstrating all afternoon and this was one from the demonstration I did.

Ash box 2 (815x1024).jpg
Ash box (1024x792).jpg

I have demonstrated before at the club but at least had time to prepare this was done with nothing prepared and the offset jig I had only brought 2 weeks before, talk about taking a big risk but everything went as well as it could except that Ash is not the best wood to spray black into end grain as can be seen.

Attachments

• Ash box 2 (815x1024).jpg
    Ash box 2 (815x1024).jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 330
  • Ash box (1024x792).jpg
    Ash box (1024x792).jpg
    223 KB · Views: 327
Certainly got a lot of flare on that, something else not easy to accommodate with the narrow lips in open grained Ash.

More nerve than me doing demonstrations to a turning club, afraid if I did it all I'd achieve is a list of things that they should not do whilst showing them 'The wrong Way'

CHJ":13046qtf said:
Certainly got a lot of flare on that, something else not easy to accommodate with the narrow lips in open grained Ash.

More nerve than me doing demonstrations to a turning club, afraid if I did it all I'd achieve is a list of things that they should not do whilst showing them 'The wrong Way'

There was a couple of moments that it nearly went wrong but quick thinking this was avoided. Talk about making it up as I went alone and still show the correct way to do something and end up with a piece as well :roll: :roll: :roll: and then to go on and show how to put another pattern on a box lid again only having done that once before. Next time I will stick to turning a simple bowl :lol: :lol: :lol:

All good for the skills improvement, nothing like instructing, be it one to one or to a group to hone and firm up your own processes and perceptions.

Back