seized bearing on my Record bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorkshire Sam

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a bit of grating noise on my Record band saw and discovered one of the lower blade guide bearing was very stiff and not turning freely. Rang up Record to order a new bearing and was horrified to find that the bearing ( less than an inch in diameter) was going to cost me about a tenner plus another £8 in postage! I queried this as the bearing cannot weigh more than about 30 grams, but was told that they have a blanket postage rate of £6 plus vat for the first 2 Kg! To add insult to injury deliver was going to be about 4 days! I am sure I could have sent it first class by post for less. As I use my band saw almost daily had to order it. Does anyone know where I can such spares else where just in case it happens again?

i would guess that it is a standard bearing, which you could have got from a bearing factor at less than a fiver, including first class postage...

one caveat = cheap skateboard or skate bearings can have loose tolerances especially inner diameter
so bearing boys etc are worth using - I know this after buying 10 for 4.99 , bearings for my Inca bandsaw guides , they were a loose fit so useless .

1) Bearings are standard sizes and are not unique to any machine unless you bought something costing 000,000,'s
2) All bearings are metric and have been since about 1915
3) All bearings have a code number eg 6205RS printed/engraved onto the rim and sometimes onto the inner face
4) Any local bearing shop (ask your garage where they get them from) will be able to take the code and translate it into a specific spec for a bearing and then you can buy one from them or wherever. Translating the code for an obscure bearing can be a nightmare but your bandsaw will have common bearing types
5) Record buy theres on the market from a similar place to one you could buy from
6) Small bearings are often less than £5
7) Chinese are not so good so consider German/US/Swiss/ etc etc
8) Most bearing shops can supply over the counter if not then they are not serious suppliers.

Hope this helps

Not actually measured the lower bearing on my Record but I think it's a 6082RS (22 x 8 x 7) About a pound each on ebay or about £1.50 to £4 from a bearing factors depending on brand. Not difficult to change so I'd try the cheap ones first.

There's often discussion on the merits of rubber sealed as opposed to metal shields to avoid dust ingress.

Experience so far has taught me that despite the theory it's often a matter of luck on how tight the metal shield fit is and how much the rubber shields get deflected by compacted dust, some metal shielding bearings are still doing fine after several years and I've had rubber sealed versions seize after a few weeks.

Thank you all for the advice I have copies them and saved them for next time the situation arises. Once again UKW members can always be relied on for info. Thanks all.

Back