Segmented turning books or websites.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, could anyone recommend some resources ( books, websites, YouTube, etc) on segmented turning please.

I made my first segmented ‘bowl’ (actually looks more like a flower pot) recently. It turned out ok (the walls are very thick though) but getting some advice would definitely be wise before attempting it again.
I used some low quality luan that was very twisted. No nice timber was wasted in the process.

I made the base out of a solid piece, which looks ok. Is making the base from segments asking for trouble?

It’s an ugly duckling and the walls are very thick. I began to lose confidence while turning the inside. Didn’t put a finish on, it doesn’t deserve it. (hammer)

Attachments

• 5D01246D-C22C-4353-AA16-BF20ECAC0A14.jpeg
    5D01246D-C22C-4353-AA16-BF20ECAC0A14.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 167
Thats a pretty respectable first attempt.I'd give it a finish of some sort and find a use for it.Even if only for storing oddments in the workshop.

scooby":1iv6zupn said:
I made the base out of a solid piece, which looks ok. Is making the base from segments asking for trouble?
Tying thinner walled segmented sections into a solid base, rim or inner band for that matter, has its merits in providing strength and stability, especially if you do it by forming tenons at the joining face to improve any endgrain-sidegrain ratios for increased joint strength.

Whilst you build up experience I would suggest you refrain from high volumes of segments just because you can.
Treat them as decorative features,
Play with grain orientation,
Concentrate on joint quality, minimum glue lines, let the wood character be the eye grabber not the joints.

As you move to thinner walls, and the inevitable thinner glue joints give more thought to the grain orientation and likely wood movement with air moisture changes.

Very frustrating to see an attractive piece split its sides at a later date because the wood was not seasoned, too dissimilar a species, or grain direction totally at odds across the joint.

Don't try to emulate the masters of the art in your first year of segmenting, that way frustration and disappointment lie.

CHJ":jdxvxn06 said:
scooby":jdxvxn06 said:
Tying thinner walled segmented sections into a solid base, rim or inner band for that matter, has its merits in providing strength and stability, especially if you do it by forming tenons at the joining face to improve any endgrain-sidegrain ratios for increased joint strength.

Whilst you build up experience I would suggest you refrain from high volumes of segments just because you can.
Treat them as decorative features,
Play with grain orientation,
Concentrate on joint quality, minimum glue lines, let the wood character be the eye grabber not the joints.

As you move to thinner walls, and the inevitable thinner glue joints give more thought to the grain orientation and likely wood movement with air moisture changes.

Very frustrating to see an attractive piece split its sides at a later date because the wood was not seasoned, too dissimilar a species, or grain direction totally at odds across the joint.

Don't try to emulate the masters of the art in your first year of segmenting, that way frustration and disappointment lie.

Thanks Chas. I’ve been looking at your website for quite a while, even before I was even considering getting a lathe. There’s some great resources and projects there.

Yeah, I went overboard on the number of segment. I mainly did that to see how accurate my chop saw jig was. Cramping that many pieces wasn’t fun.
I’ll be sure to heed the advice from you and everyone else.

worn thumbs":2r5p9zzq said:
Thats a pretty respectable first attempt.I'd give it a finish of some sort and find a use for it.Even if only for storing oddments in the workshop.

Thanks. I might put it back on the lathe to finish. Good idea of using it for workshop storage. It’d hold a few pencils :)

Dalboy":10kdr8t8 said:
Have a look at The Art of Segmented Woodturning a good book.

Tried to send you a PM but no Pm set for your profile

Oh, I’m not sure what the pm issue is. I’ll check my settings. Thank you for the book recommendation.

Have adjusted your preferences Scooby to allow PM's and emails, you can deselect any you don't want in your profile settings.

Back