Segmented Arabian Horsehead

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin

Established Member
Reaction score
Not really sure if this still looks like an Arabian. The original pattern called for the mane to be dark but the customer is always right and wanted it the lighter color......Cut from one piece of 3/4" aspen. Shaped with flex, pneumatic, and bow sanders. Colored with minwax oil and woodburst stains. Leather dye was used on the nostril and eye and thinned white oil paint on the star......highlight on eye was done with a toothpick and acrylic paint. Finish used is Deft semi-gloss lacquer.
Thanks for looking.
Lin
segmentedarabianlg.jpg

Gorgeous - so what did you do in the afternoon :lol: :lol: :lol:

That must have taken hours. Well worth it. I bet the customer loved it too.

Andy

Beautifully executed Lin, got LOML musing about postage costs to UK, (and me muttering, "well you have met Gill, get her to show you how") I caught something like "Tightwad" as she departed.

Fear not, Chas, I know when I'm out of my league :lol: !

It's really beautiful, Lin =D> , and it would grieve me to have to part with it.

Gill

Bob, Glued the frame overlay today and will put on base hopefully tomorrow.....taking pics thru out this piece......will do a WIP of this one when its done on this forum....should make for interesting conversation with 264 fret cuts in the overlay alone...plus everyone will get to see my new toy I bought this last spring......secret for now till I post the pics...lol
Lin
Gill......don't tell

Chas, Don't let Gill fool you...all she needs is the sanders and one of JGR's books and a couple of these under her belt......she would smoke me I'm sure...
Lin

Lin":hfeqqosr said:
Chas, Don't let Gill fool you...all she needs is the sanders and one of JGR's books and a couple of these under her belt......she would smoke me I'm sure...
Lin

Lin, With the rapidly approaching winter evenings to fill and a good heater in her nice comfy newly insulated den I'm sure she could produce similar despite her reticence.

Oy!

As if I haven't got enough projects on the go right now without you lot egging me on to try something else ;) :) . I suppose that's one of the great things about scrolling; there are so many different applications.

Lin - don't worry, I'm not going to say a word. I'll just sit here, quietly drooling away and trying not to look jealous =P~ . Errr.... I hesitate to ask, but when you say "all she needs is the sanders", what sanders are you talking about? I've got some drum sanders, a belt sander and Santa has a SIP 10" sanding station lined up for me. Surely they should be enough? (Please say "no" and give me excuse to go tool shopping again [-o< .)

Oh, and I've already got JGR's Intarsia - Artistry In Wood lurking quietly, waiting to be unleashed.

Gill

Many use drum sanders and the little dremel sander barrels to do intarsia......what is SIP standing station.....I like the soft sanders....like flex sanders.....they have a cushion on inside to help for contouring......
Send link so I can see sanding station......you can do Intarisia with just about any type of sanders......just some make it easier........
I just got the pneumatic sander for my buffer/sander.....really like it.....I have one of those and a flex sander on other side......up until I got the sander/buffer I used the flex sanders in my drill press and it worked fine....I do on occasion use the dremel sanding barrels but I have a hard time controlling that tool...it runs away from me......I do use the bow sander quite a bit on every piece I do now.....great for the smaller areas.
link here to show you the flex sanders....http://www.seyco.com/
I basically use the 180 and 240 grit....sometimes the lower grits first if lots to take off.....if hard hardwood I use lower grit and work way up.....If you do decide to try segmentation/intarsia...pick one with 20 or less pieces first......lots of pieces makes it all harder I think. My first was 19 pieces....and I basically just lower a few and rounded each piece over......as I kept doing them the shaping is becoming a major part of the piece. Trying to make them look realistic. I am using sanding shims more and more with each piece. The first four pieces I did I didn't use them.....I can tell a major difference in the look between those first four and what I'm doing now.....The next piece I do may be from the book you have......the horsehead that is in it....customer wants to see this one before he makes final decision on whch one he wants.....In the book you have..she goes thru how to do the dolphin......she I think has you using tracing paper.....I don't. I use paper pattern......the tracing paper would be good to see thru for grain direction. Sanding shims for the dolphin are show in book also....I have found that at first I was afraid to take much off the piece but have gotta better about the willness to sand it down thin if needed. On the back horse ears I have been taking them down to just over 1/4"..lots of wood coming off the piece.......only sand the front of the piece....never the back so you don't lose your fit. cna come down side but not so far you wouold lose fit to adjoining pieces....I have done that one and had a hard time getting fit back.
Now I've run on and on....hope some of it helps and makes sense..
Lin