Segmentation / Intarsia wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewWood80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, from what I understand segmentation is the same as intarsia but instead of using different woods to obtain different colours you can use one type and the dye to get the colours you desire.
I was just wondering if anyone knew of a wood that's good for segmentation here in the uk, seeing as we dont have the diversity like they do in America. Has anyone done any segmentation? I would like to try it out as I have a great idea for my mums Christmas present and thought its never to early to prepare.

I have a small rotory dremel type thing for shaping the pieces but just stuck on which wood to use, was thinking of trying it out on a bit of pallet timber for starters and see how that goes. I'm hoping that the large grain structure shouldn't really matter for the shaping with the correct tooling and woul actually lok nice once dyed.

Any advice would be great.

J

Dying wood does not seem to work very well in practice, if you do decide to dye the wood I would use something like poplar or sycamore. Have you considered using birch plywood and then painting the pieces with an acrylic paint, I feel the effect would be better and you can spray an acrylic lacquer over the finished item, just an idea.

i know rustins do wood dyes and i think they all pass child toy safety standard not sure what colours they have but they are widely available in uk , im sure if you google wood dyes you would be able to find something

Best regards Mark

Any white or redwood as you are doing segmentation you will be adding colour, you may like to make your own stains from chestnut husks,blackberries etc as some of these look great.
For Intasia try to get to know local joinery companies as they do throw a lot away and will even order you woods from their suppliers

Back