Seeking some history of Swearby Sheffield Chisel's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
So I have come across a really nice 1" tapered former chisel made by Swearby, its a name I have heard previously but this time I googled around to find something about the, history and suchlike. Failed miserably all I came across was a few chisels for sale and and some tools I swear by!
If anyone has some info or a link to a web page I would be pleased, thank you
1629027892949.png

I think it was a respected brand from the days when Sheffield had dozens of toolmaking brands. I believe something like W and T Cooper were the makers - don't know why they just put Swearby - some makers like Marples, Hildick and Taylor had a brand like Hibernia or Diamic but also put on their name and symbol or the works name - should be a good chisel and they're not that rare so you could collect a set.

Thank you folks interesting - Its a bit strange that so many small edge making firms that were based in Sheffield just disappeared without much trace, perhaps they just ceased trading or merged with another similar firm and went that way. Time travel there for a day or so would be quite interesting to see so many metal trades working relatively close with traditional (well to them normal) methods.

Latest posts

Back