Sedgwick TA315 Blade Change Help Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boardgamer

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Having acquired a manual for my old machine, I thought I would follow the blade changing procedure. I'm supposed to insert the "spindle lock bar" in "one of the holes in the spindle behind the fixed collar through the slot in the cradle plate". There are two main problems with this. Firstly, I don't know what a spindle lock bar looks like, and I certainly don't have one. More importantly, I can't see any holes/slots I could legitimately insert one into. Am I looking in the wrong place, or has the design changed between my machine and the manual?

I can't see how to easily lock the spindle/blade in place to get the nut off. If anyone has an older TA315, can you please advise was the process different, or how do you do it?

No experience of the Sedgwick but on our big old Wadkin it was put spanner on nut and tap spanner with hammer. If that didn't work it was tap nut with hammer. Not ideal I know but it worked.

Like Doug I haven’t got a Sedgwick saw but I do pretty much the same, grab onto the blade with a glove, spanner on the nut and loosen off as I don’t tighten them super tight as I think that’s bad practice. Sometimes I’ll rest a piece of wood over the teeth instead of a glove so they bit into the timber whilst tightening or loosening, probably not great for the teeth but it works.

I have owned the two models, the newer one has a spindle lock bar,the older one does not.The lock bar is simply a bar of steel which if my memory serves me correctly was half inch diameter and approximately eight inches long,if your machine needs this it will be obvious to you as to where it needs to be inserted.It sounds to me like you have the older machine,I simply use a length of timber to stop the blade turning and undo or tighten the arbor nut.I know you may already know but please forgive me for pointing out the obvious that the arbor thread is left handed.Enjoy your machine,I have had mine for about 30 years with only simple maintenance needed.I would suggest the you keep the rise fall and tilt threads clean which is a little fiddly but a regular blow with an air line and a little wd40 has served me well over the years,best regards Kevin.Sorry only just seen the previous post but it takes me an age to type this so I am submitting it anyway.

Thanks all. I've been using a glove up to now, but wondered if there was an easier way. Obviously not!

I'll have a look at the rise & fall screw. I think it is clean, but a bit of a clean won't do any harm.

(@Kevin - in this case I did know it was left-handed, but pointing out the obvious to me is *never* a bad thing!)

Back