Sedgwick SM4 caution - check your machine -

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Sedgwick SM4 ii which is really a brilliant machine in my humble opinion except for the way the whole spindle assembly is held in place. Whilst changing cutters I wound down the spindle to the bottom of its travel.....or so I thought. The whole spindle assembly suddenly disappeared as it crashed to the floor.

On investigation I found that a small bolt with a feeble washer had come out of the bottom of the threaded bar that the whole spindle assembly sits upon. This acts as a stop to prevent it falling out. On my machine which was produced in 91 this did not appear to have any form of anti vibration lockng system on it, hence over time it came loose and dropped off.

May I urge all owners to spend 5 minutes to look inside the cabinet of the machine to check that the bolt is in place and tight. Adding thread lock / anti vibration spring washer would be highly recommended.

I'm now faced with trying to source a cheap stepped aluminium belt drive for the motor as mine took the full impact and smashed!

If anyone knows where to source a similar one o the original it old be much appreciated. I'm going to contact Sedgwick to see hw much an original is which I'm sure will be horribly expensive

Sorry to hear that, I will check mine tomorrow. Any spares from sedgwick are your basic rip off, try and source from anywhere else except them. Maybe try here, they are out of stock but might be able to get one, might be worth a call?

mtr1":g0d3z1fm said:
Any spares from sedgwick are your basic rip off, try and source from anywhere else except them.

Indeed.

The other day I was manoeuvring a wide oak board about and I managed to clout the thicknesser adjusting handle of my MB, 12" machine. The handle sheared off completely.

This plastic adjuster wheel is a bit of bad design in an otherwise excellent machine. The wheel is on the side of the machine, instead of being tucked away under one of the tables (Where it would have required less in the way of gearing, to transfer the motion.) I can't simply buy a new handle. I have to get a new hand-wheel altogether. This time I am going to find a metal replacement, with a fold-away handle, in the hope it won't happen again! The replacement won't be from Sedgwick for sure!

:mrgreen:

John,
is this what you are after?
axminster handles.jpg

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod864182/

Colin

Attachments

• axminster handles.jpg
    axminster handles.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 267
eribaMotters":2cmcce4q said:

Yes thanks Motters,

Except mine has sheared off and the thread is left in the wheel.Needs drilling out, relining and rethreading. I don't have a drill press etc, so I am going to look for a metal wheel with the handles that folds down out of the way! I am bound to knock the wheel again,as I only have a four foot wide aisle down the middle of the shop, in which to move about. This has happened before! :mrgreen:
Thanks again though. Am obliged. :D

If you still have the handle you could do what I did...drill a 5 mm hole in the sheared off bolt, use a screw extractor to get this out. Then get a new bolt of the same size, and tighten into the thread with loc-tite, take a quarter turn back from tight, then grind the head of the bolt smooth, but not so you can't get a spanner on still. This lasted a couple of years while I had it, but sheared off again in transport to the new owner.

Thanks Mark,

Exactly what I was going to do. But it's been 25 years since I did any motor maintenance, and my extractor set was in my vehicle tool set; long since dispersed by No. One Son! I think I can drill out the handle boss on the wheel. I'll replace it with shopmade handle from some all-thread and nuts and use the old handle-sheath. That will do it! (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

if it doesn't work, I will definitely replace with a metal wheel!

Thanks again
J :D

Just got the really bad news from Sedgwick for the cost of the broken SM4 pulley. £136 + VAT + Delivery.
I appreciate everyone has to make a living, but for about the same price I can get one machined from solid.

Deema,

A pic of the pulley, with dimensions, might be a good idea. I have some spare pulleys in my shop that I am never likely to use. If there's one that would suit you, you are welcome.

My planer has a chain drive. (Which I must remember to check and oil, come to think on it! I'll borrow No. One Son's chain-lube, from his bike kit! :mrgreen:

PS... Edit.

Soemtimes we have a bit of luck! I came across my set of thread extractors, in an old 'Quality Street' tin. (Early 20th Century as it happens! The tin. Not my extractors... 8) ) The piece of thread in the handwheel was hollow, and all that was necessary was to push the thread extractor into the thread and wind. The stub of thread came out clean. So it looks as if those handles at Axminster will fit. Seems to be an M8 thread, so for a fiver or so I'll take a punt!

Obliged Mark.

John :D

Latest posts

Back