Sedgwick PT255 Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pollys13

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought one of the machines. I wanted to check the setting of the knives but found I couldn't turn the cutter block by hand. I asked Sedgwick, they said, "The block won’t turn freely because the motor is fitted with a fail-safe electro-magnetic brake mechanism. The brake will release when energized"
I replied, " so how do I energise without turning the machine on, say I want to change knives? "
I asked on the 30th of August, they have not replied. Obviously I don't want to turn the block by hand if there is power to the machine and not properly isolated. Could someone clarify please? The machine starts and stops normally.
Thanks.

I recently bought one of the machines. I wanted to check the setting of the knives but found I couldn't turn the cutter block by hand. I asked Sedgwick, they said, "The block won’t turn freely because the motor is fitted with a fail-safe electro-magnetic brake mechanism. The brake will release when energized"
I replied, " so how do I energise without turning the machine on, say I want to change knives? "
I asked on the 30th of August, they have not replied. Obviously I don't want to turn the block by hand if there is power to the machine and not properly isolated. Could someone clarify please? The machine starts and stops normally.

If the cutter block is belt driven why not just take off the belt so that the cutter block is free of the motor, then you can turn it freely by hand.

skelph

Thanks skelph but that sounds a bit of a fath, surely I shouldn't have to do that.

Should be dead simple to do - the Sedgwick at our local Men's Shed only needs the belt cover removed (4 screws) and then the belt is exposed and it isn't very difficult to lift over the cutter block pulley. Check your blades (which will be more work than taking off the drive belt) and then slip the belt back on and screw the cover back in place.
skelph

Back