Sedgwick planer stiff piston

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helvetica

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a CP planer Thicknesser which is very difficult to move the bed up & down. Tried cleaning with wd40 and rags, and greasing with lathe grease, but it gets smothered in dust and chippings and away we go again! Any tips on maintenance? Should I use a specific oil or grease? Do I need to take it apart? And what’s this gubbin beside the main piston (see photo)? Thanks.

d5e256b318c7de09bb65d2eb25ea033c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Under that piece that's sticking up are the bevel gears that turn the handwheel rotation into a lifting and lowering motion on the table by way of threaded rod into a casting the column is housed into. Looks like there’s a pair of thrust bearings there so it wouldn’t hurt to shoot a bit of oil at them occasionally.

Aside from lubricating the column, take the back panel off the machine and put some dry lubricant like silicone spray, PTFE or white lithium on the rise and fall threads and the bevel gears, might make a big difference.

Grease wouldn’t harm anything and it works well for a while, but when it mixes with sawdust it quickly clogs stuff up, dry lubricants are best and even in some cases wax is a pretty good one to use on the mechanicals.

Back