Sedgwick or axminster?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely keeping with sedgwick. After all your comments last night I had to go back out to the workshop to peruse it. And it is a lovely bit of kit. Hope the wife didn't see me stroking it!
The front handle that Cabinetman talks about is missing. It Has been from when I bought it.
The bar is there, just no plastic knob.
I have tried the manufacturer for it before but they were unhelpful.
I've always just used the main locking arm, but if this front knob is a extra lock that could be a problem resolver. Thank you Cabinet man.
Does anyone recommend another supplier for parts?

Although, I still like the idea of the incra fence incorporating my router table on the right of the saw, freeing up space elsewhere.
But its not cheap, but looks quality. Would it be a good compliment to the saw.

I will have a look at mine and see if I can work out what thread it is as any bit of threaded bar with a knob on it will do, I have made knobs like this using a coach bolt a rounded off square of six mil ply a washer and a nut in the past (for jigs) Ian

Although, I still like the idea of the incra fence incorporating my router table on the right of the saw, freeing up space elsewhere.

Ive no experience of the incra fence but it seems many are very happy with them; naturally, only you can decide whether it suits your work and your pocket.

I think I’m right in saying you can get a similar style of fence, for a lot less, from Banggood. I’ve only seen positive reviews of their wood working stuff.

I was in the same position as you and I ended up buying a new TA 315 because I wanted the braked motor and the mitre slots,sold my old one very easily but had to wait a while for my new one to be delivered.I had a few issues with Sedgwick QC but Marklin soon sorted it out for me and I am now pleased with my new saw.No way would I consider one of the cheaper imports there is no comparison,bite the bullet,spend a few Bob and go for the Sedgwick that’s my advice but be thorough in your delivery checks before accepting it if you take delivery direct from Sedgwick.I can highly recommend Marklin Woodworking Machinery for their advice and service if you decide to go for a new machine,their prices are also very competitive.Hope this helps regards Kevin.

I will have a look at mine and see if I can work out what thread it is as any bit of threaded bar with a knob on it will do, I have made knobs like this using a coach bolt a rounded off square of six mil ply a washer and a nut in the past (for jigs) Ian
So this is the photo showing the three knobs levers plus one of my home-made ones, also shown is an Allen key which you might just want to check is nice and tight on yours it might be the problem? It’s an 8 mm thread by the way on the knob in the top of the picture Best of luck Ian
C6C3567D-7B3E-4994-94D8-5CB07ACCEFDE.jpeg

The AT254TS mentioned does in fact have proper trunnions which appear to be cast iron. However, I'm not sure what the saw offers for £3200 over something like a Laguna F3 for £1100 less.
I suppose when you look at a lot of the sheet fabricated machines they are basicly usable, what tends to let them down are the fences and mountings for things like tables. The £1100 is a big difference and although the Axminster states Dado, can use a router and has a braked motor when you look closer you could be better off with the Laguna and then having £1100 towards a decent router setup. The Axminster takes the UJK router plate which is 230 by 306 mm and I suspect is that size to only accomodate the UJK lifter because Jessem and the like are 235 by 298 mm.

The Incra fence is a quality tool but you may want to do a bit more research and watch the Incra setup videos before pushing the button.

Firstly, given you are exploring the Incra TS fence because of space you need to be aware that the Incra itself is very space hungry in that the positioner extends all the way out when making wide cuts. The rails, whilst advertised as universal, may require some fettling based on the available fixing points on the Sedgwick. If you want to use this for a router as well, I'd factor in the wonder fence system to expand on that option and also maybe invest in the JessEm clear cut guides.

I have an Incra TS LS 32 on my Hammer K3 and originally it was fitted in the standard approach but it was the impact on space that forced me to rethink. I then machined some parts to fit the positioner where the fence front guide was and fixed the fence perpendicular to that. No more space issues and it actually works incredibly well. there is a UJK cast router table hanging on the right with a router lift set in. I have a nice expanse of cast iron and useable table saw and router table. I have the clear cut guides and the wonder fence (which is shared across the TS router and a separate Incra router table build.)

In short, definitely worth the money but make sure it fits your needs and space issues prior to ordering. There are a lot of satisfied Incra TS positioner users out there but some people just can't get on with it. Speak to Peter Sefton, he is probably the best point of contact and supplier for Incra in the UK (in my opinion). He also stocks the wonder fence and clear cut guides. He uses the guides on his workshop saw.

I might be totally wrong with this and may be the model above, but I thought Axi's ts254ts was made by Sedgwick anyway?

Interestingly @Nick Laguna UK I know you have a note on your site about dado sets but you don't mention IIRC whether the saw can actually take one. I assume it can as I'd be surprised for them to manufacture a new arbour just for the EU market when there's nothing actually illegal about using one. Given that Axi are selling this with one prominently in the advertising (though not included) will you guys be changing your stance at all?
Hi DBT, yes it can physically take one as we have same length arbour as USA. Our stance is due to the fact we don't offer any floating guard system that would ensure compliance with H&S regs. Axminster offer a floating guard at £700 or so.
It's for that main reason we don't promote the Fusion as a dado compatible saw.
Cheers, Nick

Thank you Ian for sparing the time to look into my fence issues, ill take your info and have another go at it this weekend.
Thanks also Kevin, I have considered a new one to get exactly what I want and sell my existing saw on.
I need to do some thinking on it.
But defo sticking with the sedgwick brand and not the axminster.

Hi DBT, yes it can physically take one as we have same length arbour as USA. Our stance is due to the fact we don't offer any floating guard system that would ensure compliance with H&S regs. Axminster offer a floating guard at £700 or so.
It's for that main reason we don't promote the Fusion as a dado compatible saw.
Cheers, Nick
Given how few saws offer it over here might a guard not be an idea? Especially considering your saw is already a grand less than that axi.

Given how few saws offer it over here might a guard not be an idea? Especially considering your saw is already a grand less than that axi.
We considered it - but didn't want to be stuck with 10k's worth of guards that we know most wouldn't use in a home workshop.
Any commercial buyers have access to guards mentioned above from others.
We are OK as it is & sell out on every delivery without adding extra complications.
Cheers

We considered it - but didn't want to be stuck with 10k's worth of guards that we know most wouldn't use in a home workshop.
Any commercial buyers have access to guards mentioned above from others.
We are OK as it is & sell out on every delivery without adding extra complications.
Cheers
Makes sense. Do you have a slider option yet? Or one you know fits easily enough?

Latest posts

Back