Sedgwick Morticer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NiallD

Reaction score
I have just bought a second hand Sedgwick 571 morticer- the auger and bushing are completely seized in - anyone know of a good method for freeing them with out damaging the machine.

Plus Gas and controlled force and maybe locally applied intense heat eg oxy acetylene flame it desperate.

good luck

Bob

Funnily enough i'm going through a few issues (now pretty much resolved) with my Smiths morticer - very similair to the Sedgwick.

I had a drill bit which was seized in the shaft, here's what I did.

Cheers

Karl

Karl":3jiw6q6k said:
Funnily enough i'm going through a few issues (now pretty much resolved) with my Smiths morticer - very similair to the Sedgwick.

I had a drill bit which was seized in the shaft, here's what I did.

Cheers

Karl

Karl

I note you used WD40. In my experience that is a water dispersant and not all good for freeing seized parts. I find Plus-Gas that has been mentioned above so much better and is actually made for the job. You can get it from any good motor parts dealers and maybe even Halfords.

So I would echo Bob's comments and say, start with a good soaking of Plus-Gas.

Mick

in the past I have had excellent results on siezed brake slave cylinders by immersing in vinegar which is a weak acid Acitic acid) that eats the rust away, build a coffer dam of plasercine and fill with vineger leave for 48 hours and "gently " tap apart.
Then make sure you wash all the vinegar away and clean the metal up.
Good luck

Back