Sedgwick morticer - replacing collet with a chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starcott

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an old Sedgwick morticer with a collet for holding the auger. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to replace this collet with a chuck, as fitted to the current Sedgwick model?

If so, is there anyone who has done this change who can tell me how to do it?

Thank you.

John

I assume you mean the 571 model. I looked into this when I bought a s/h one some time ago now, and the problem was the
design of the chisel/motor mounting housing prevents the fitting of a standard 12mm 1/2" chuck. The later versions which have a chuck fitted had a redesigned housing.

If you have the engineering skills or prepared to have one made then it's doable :D .

we had one made, iirc, was a tube that sleeved over the motor spindle and grub screwed on, then had a thread on the end for a chuck.

i might be able to find it simewhere as it was for a old machine.

Thank you, Olly, for that promising news.
How did you get the old collet off the motor spindle?
I suppose until I find out the motor spindle diameter I can't make any real progress.
When you say you may be able to find the old sleeve, does that mean it is no longer in use?

John

this looks like the multico mortiser I have and at the time of purchase I bought a chuck for it that was fitted onto a length of steel that had the same diameter as what the 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 " collets fitted into, tightened with the same grub screw as held the auger piece of the bit. if of interest I'll post a picture

Thank you for your offer to post a picture of your arrangement. However, if it means keeping the original collet and connecting the chuck into it, I don't have the room.
Distance between bottom of motor, and the housing for the bottom collet, is 4 inches. The existing top collet extends 2 and 1/2 inches.
As I see it, the only chance I have is to remove the existing collet and somehow fit a chuck directly onto the motor shaft, which is 19 mm diam.

John

Hey John, realise this is an old thread but I have exactly the same situation / desire to upgrade to a chuck on my old 571 .... did you make any progress on this?

Back