Sedgwick Mortice Machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desmo11225

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone
We have got the Sedgwick mortice machine and bought a single phase motor for it but the motor has a 19 mm diameter shaft on it , my question is, is there a chuck to fit the 19 mm dia .shaft on the motor ?????? All the Best desmo11225

I don't actually know how Sedgwick mount the chucks to the motors, but I assume it's either threaded onto the shaft or there's a jacobs taper turned on the end of the motor shaft and a screw is fed through the chuck into the end of the shaft to keep it secure.

Are you sure the motor you've bought is going to fit? I'm not sure if it's a universal fit onto the casting and it may need to be a specially made motor front mount.

https://www.targetmanufacturing.co.uk/w ... s-List.pdf

The exploded diagram in the above appears to show a taper on the motor shaft

your only option if you have access to an engineering lathe is to make a hollow shaft with one end bored to the shaft size of your motor the other end bored to the size of your largest auger then have a series of collets made for smaller chisels/augers. hold them all in place with grub screws

you may need to create flats on the augers for where the grub screws land

You want an ER Chuck 19mm. Buy some shim stock too to get abetter fit as the Chinese ER Chucks are on the looser side.

I replaced the original collet in my Multico with an ER Chuck. Needed shim stock in order to get it to fit perfect but runs like a dream now.

Untitled by jamie skinner, on Flickr

Untitled by jamie skinner, on Flickr

Back