Sedgwick Mortice Machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desmo11225

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All once again , we have purchased a Sedgewick Mortice Machine , we do not know the Model Number yet , until we see it ,I've looked on the internet and it looks like Model 571 mark 1 and 2 ,is this the case you owners , also are there any handy tips we should know about and are they as good machines as the reviews. All the Best Every one. desmo11225

Wonderful machines, I've got a second-generation one (I think) where the base was still a thick triangular piece of cast iron, the ones after that generation all had sheet metal bases. Pretty much nigh-on indestructible which is why there's so many on the secondhand market and they don't command too much of a price, there's just so many around and they just won't die! :lol:. The older ones had excellent Brook Crompton Gryphon Motors which just don't wear out provided they're looked after. The old Sedgwicks also had a spring balanced head on a chain, the modern ones have a counterweight on a chain.

WdPiUS9.jpg

Wonderful machines, I've got a second-generation one (I think) where the base was still a thick triangular piece of cast iron, the ones after that generation all had sheet metal bases. Pretty much nigh-on indestructible which is why there's so many on the secondhand market and they don't command too much of a price, there's just so many around and they just won't die! :lol:. The older ones had excellent Brook Crompton Gryphon Motors which just don't wear out provided they're looked after. The old Sedgwicks also had a spring balanced head on a chain, the modern ones have a counterweight on a chain.

WdPiUS9.jpg
Hi mate.
I bought this same Morticer and could use some advice on a few things if you don’t mind. Completely understandable if you’re too busy but you’re the first person I’ve seen on the net with this model (triangular base) so thought I’d give it a shot.

I think that if I was younger and putting together a workshop that I would fill it with good old cast iron machinery like that Sedgwick morticer along with loads more heavy iron because it has stood the test of time unlike modern fabricated sheet metal machinery.

Back