Sedgwick MB thicknesser digital readout?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I bought a secondhand Sedgwick MB planer thicknesser which I will get my hands on next week 😁

The previous owner has rigged up some kind of homemade digital thicknessing gauge using what looked like a digital vernier caliper, he tells me it works fine but had a flat battery so I couldn't see it working, I thought it looked a bit dodgy.

I need some kind of digital readout for repeatability, what do other people use, a quick Google brought up this kind of thing, any good?

https://www.machine-dro.co.uk/300mm-12-wixey-remote-planer-readout-with-fractions
Also my other planers have always had a jig for setting the knives in the block but this doesn't come with one, these seem to be available everywhere from about £25 upwards, are they any good?

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power...-jigs-planer-blade-setting-jig-dakota+dkpnjig

Thanks in advance, Doug

I'm installing a Wixey WR550 on my Holzmann HOB260NL. I'll post images as soon as it's installed.

I tried a similar setting jig for my machine, and came to the conclusion they are rubbish. In the images, they look like precision metal devices, but they are plastic. The scales are thin tape and mean nothing, as both on mine were peeling off. The magnets aren't strong enough to overcome the force of the knife springs and hold the jig to the cutter block.

I tried the float glass method of setting the knives, but was never satisfied with the results. It works for some, but not me. The method that consistently works for me is to remove the springs completely and hold the knives in place with a pair of magnetic welding squares. I put the square on the outfeed table with a couple sheets of paper between it and the table. I raise the blade so it is held by the magnets while gently tightening the gib screws. The final adjustment of the blade height is with a dial indicator and gentle persuasion with wooden block. This never fails for me and I am happy with the results.

Here's a video that shows the part of the process I use:

Well? Results?

adam

I went with the Wixey, really pleased with it, just make sure you read the instructions and fit everything the right way up :rolleyes:

wixey 1.jpg

Regarding the knife setting jig I didn't bother, instead I changed the blades for the ESTA quick change system, initially pricey but also really pleased with that.

Back