Sedgwick looks to have changed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking at the Sedgwick range of machines online. They appear to have changed the design of their planner thicknessers. Has anyone got one of the new ones? Or seen one in the flesh?

They originally design had cast iron sides on to which the planner beds bolted. It was only the lower blue base section that was a fabrication that contained the motor(s). The latest machines appear to have adopted fabrications for almost everything with only a small cast iron seating that the beds attach to that sits on top of the fabricated sides that were once cast iron.

Have they changed the design?or is it just my poor interpretation of the images?

A good change that I can see is that the new PT come with a choice of either Tersa or spiral blocks with Tersa being the standard fit. Fixed knives are no longer an option.

The thicknesser rise and fall handle has also been moved from the side to the end. I know some didn’t like it on the side, but I’m a Luddite who preferred it there. For me it was a bonus as it beat banging my head on the table when ever I used it on my last machine that had it at the end,

At least for the CP model it definitely appears to have changed. Much less cast iron and welded fabrications now from just below the surface tables. There are useful images on the JMJ and Scott+Sergeant websites.

I think they changed the model the better part of a year ago now, I haven’t seen one in the flesh but it’s bound to be less stout than the older models. I don’t really know anyone who’s ever bought a new Sedgwick, I think only colleges tend to buy them new. The old ones keep chugging on and are better so why buy new? My Sedgwick morticer is a prime example, very early model with triangular cast iron base, super solid castings everywhere and spring balancers rather than a weight on a chain. New Sedgwick morticers are quite flimsy and tippy compares to the old one. I paid £300 for the old one and a new one would set you back £1500.

The thicknesser handle moving from the side is a welcome one, if you’ve ever shinned yourself on one on the side you know why :lol: Although it does seem to be on the complete wrong end of the machine.

Sedgwick could really do with expanding the range and making some higher end machines. Bandsaws perhaps?

I was looking at a new TA 315 sawbench a few weeks ago. The sliding table on that is now fabricated where it was always cast. I was told instead of putting prices up they try to reduce production costs to keep the price the same.

Back