Sedgwick CP dust hood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helvetica

Established Member
Reaction score
I found a Sedgwick dust hood on eBay after a year of looking, but it’s for an MB, so it’s 12” rather than 14”. Would this provide adequate dust extraction if the hood and the piece are centred on the bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I know, the Sedgwick machines never actually came with dust extraction hoods except for the one that threw the shavings a particular direction rather than everywhere upwards. This is why you will always see homemade ones, easy enough to make up a ply box that’s held in place by the bridge guard to take up the shavings and another box that fits on the thicknessing bed.

If I’m right a CP is a 16” machine so you would have 4” of exposed blade throwing out shavings if you went with an MB hood.

Sorry I meant 16” (410mm to be exact). I always thought the hood was oem as it appears in many of the stock photos - see attached. I guess what I’m asking is if the fit of the hood makes it more efficient. If the wood is smaller than the hood, chips should fly into the hood, but will it lose suction because it’s not tight to the wall. It’s not exactly airtight!

5652373ab75e9cb07d7030de6db43f65.jpg

I made a box from ply already (it fits top and bottom for planing or thicknessing), but the sharp angles make turbulence so I think the smoother shapes of the steel hood will perform better. I guess I’ll attach it and find out. Thanks for the reply

I have the CP with the OE hood which does come as standard. It relies on the chips IMO being thrown into it rather than suction. It’s just a hopper that guides the chips to the port. When thicknessing it can get clogged up with shavings especially on softwood that’s resinous. I would just stick to your plywood version I can see no advantages to the metal version. When thicknessing there is always bits in mine at the end and I have a big extractor that exceeds the minimum m3 requirements.

Helvetica":1pruwl3h said:
Sorry I meant 16” (410mm to be exact). I always thought the hood was oem as it appears in many of the stock photos - see attached.

I think Sedgwick have only recently started supplying hoods on their machines for about the last few years or so, anything older than that they didn't or you'd have to have one on special order and pay an arm and a leg for them.

Have you tried directly contacting Sedgwick about it?

I may have been wrong. I definitely know someone that bought one in 96-98 that didn't have a hood and another in 2004ish that also didn't.

Scot Sargent are looking for £270 for a hood, holy moly! I must contact Sedgwick direct and see if they’re any cheaper. Or maybe stick with the ply as suggested. This can be an expensive hobby!

The CP were I use to work was bought in about 1990 and came with a hood as standard. Didn't look as though it would be difficult to make one out of Ali. If I remember right it was pop riveted together. Bit of sheet, some angle and a hose fitting and jobs a goodun. Seemed to work well but our extractors were feed by 300mm ducting.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I thought it might be quicker. Would anyone who has a CP dust hood have a minute to throw a tape measure beside it? I want to make a box and if it’s full width it tends to get stuck on the rails. 3 outside dimensions would be great, thank you!

image.jpg

I had the problem thirty years ago with an MB and made this , the far side edge rests on the infeed bed and it pivots on the two mounting bolts.
To comply with current regs it arguably needs a cross shaped guard to prevent fingers from approaching the cutters. So far I haven't been that stupid!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 97
That’s interesting Mike, can it flip and go under the cutter block for planing?

Back