Sedgwick 12” Planer Thicknesser Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought this Sedgwick 12” planer thicknesser and it’s 3 phase. It has a Tvertor 0.75kW 1HP E2-201 H1FN4S fitted so I am hoping this allows it to run from single phase 240v?

Any information for and experiences of this machine would be great :)

C7-A6-A046-0-EB1-46-F6-83-C5-E5976-C0-C1084.png

Thank you

I am guessing here that the inverter is for the feed motor as it's too small for the main motor. If I'm correct, this will give you a variable speed feed in place of the original two speed feed - very nice. Presumably, it will be 240V 1ph in and 240V 3ph out. Check the nameplate on both the inverter and the feed motor to confirm this.
That leaves the main motor which drives the knife block round - much larger. If dual voltage, it MAY have been configured to a delta (∆) configuration to run on 240V 3ph, in which case you'll need another - larger- inverter to supply it with 3ph. Or it may be only a star (Y) wound motor which requires a more sophisticated type of inverter or a new motor.
More info needed!
Bob Minchin on this forum is your man - he's the resident guru.
Duncan

Thanks Duncan. I haven’t collected it yet and the current owner inherited it so doesn’t know much about it. So it will be a surprise when I get to it :D Is Bob an electrical guru or Sedgwick MB planer guru?
Many thanks

He's very knowledgeable and helpful about motors and inverters and uses the name 9fingers both here and on the woodhaven2 website. Just do a search on here or go to http://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=120 where he's very active.
There's a link there to his very useful booklet about motors and inverters which will no doubt answer many of your questions.
Duncan

Latest posts

Back