Security Marking Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niemeyjt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, my suggestion of a Security Forum may come to fruition, but in the meantime I start this discussion in General Chat.

What tips are out there for marking tools - and any recommended (or not recommended) product links?

What feedback for success / failures of said marking?

In other threads so far we have seen tips including:

Smartwater and Dots - i.e. invisible;

Branding - hot marking and melting plastic

Engraving - freehand

Stencil / Labelling - a cold ink (plastic) or etch (metal)

Others?

At work we have a garden machinery barn that keeps getting hit by thieves. They go after leaf blowers, chainsaws, hedge trimmers etc. What amazed us was they got the stuff outside the shed, and 2 of the pieces that had our postcode written on them in large letter with indelible ink were left behind! I would suggest as big and noticeable as possible, a marker pen works for us but does look a little ugly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one (of many) youtube jobs regarding etching anything metal. Looks/sounds easy enough to do...there's another tutorial - which is probably better - from a knife maker (MK?) who shows how he etches his knife blades with his logo.

Would it stop the pikies and their nefarious hobbies?
Don't know.

Theft prevention, you either prevent the theft or make the items only of value to yourself. For example you may have a nice tracksaw but with your name nicely branded onto it with a postcode, it still fully functions but is not worth stealing as not easy to sell. Downside is if you decide to sell it yourself or move house!

I would suggest as big and noticeable as possible, a marker pen works for us but does look a little ugly.
It may not look good but at least you still have it, it is still a useable tool for yourselves but not of any value to thieves.

At work we have a garden machinery barn that keeps getting hit by thieves. They go after leave blowers, chainsaws, hedge trimmers etc. What amazed us was they got the stuff outside the shed, and 2 of the pieces that had our postcode written on them in large letter with indelible ink were left behind! I would suggest as big and noticeable as possible, a marker pen works for us but does look a little ugly.
xles
Agree. After years in CID found that chaining together small machines including wheelbarrows, lawnmowers chainsaws etc. by handle, axles or any part that a decent chain would pass through made it very difficult to move the lot together.. Effort should be in preventing theft rather than the tracing of property after

A big problem now is that you get cordless grinders and croppers so chains are easier to cut but wire rope can be more difficult. What I have found amusing are the people who lock there bikes in a bike rack and when they return all they have is a wheel chained to the bike rack because the rest has been taken.

I've posted before - my b.i.l. had an alarm fitted. He said it was a lousy system, but theirs was the only house of six that had one so it wasn't theirs that would get done. That sums it up for domestic properties, really - do as best you can to make next door more appealing to a burglar than yours is, most burglary is opportunist.

Wee?? 😆🤣 no1 will want to buy your kit if it stinks of pish 😄

#Im not actually advocating weeing on power tools#

I’ve been a victim of burglary several times over the years and I’ve picked up several tips and advice since . In case you are unfortunate to suffer a break in or burglary then the no1 tool in your box - pardon the pun is to be able to identify your property. This is because the tow rag in my case claimed the tools were his ( unbelievable) but this happens. Be it smart water , dna marking or branding or etching-proof of purchase will go a long way as it’s not uncommon for these marks to be ground off. Also with new tools especially large expensive machines registration online will also be your proof of ownership. Some authorised dealers will not repair tools that aren’t registered to you and some will possibly inform the police- ref a 28 year old 3 way hilti drill -I was told if it was registered as stolen they would not repair it nor return it . Something else a lot of us do is to load the van up every morning with our tools and equipment but do you consider who else is watching you ??? . Likewise when we return home after a days work knackered and worn out and dive inside for a much deserved cuppa or a beer the opportunity is there for you or your premises/ home to become marked as they now know what you have and will watch and learn your habits . Hope I’m not ranting on but I have learned most of this through bitter experience. Then comes the event itself and sad to say most of us are in bed asleep when they visit so my next point is light up the vulnerable areas as bright as possible and Force them to make as much noise as possible to hopefully alert you or your neighbors. There are some ear splitting sirens used by large warehouse that our electricians and alarm installers may have more information on - they are so loud the tow rags cannot stay in the room or premises. Imo you have to make it as difficult as possible for them to get your property but easy for you to get it back if the local police catch the culprits . Chain it up , bolt it to the floor whatever it takes and lock away any cutting tools grinders and hacksaws and bolt cutters etc -if by any chance your still awake lol 😂 I hope this helps even if it’s one of us it’s working making the effort. The window in the picture behind the grill is fitted with reflective film so I can see out but I or the scum bags can’t see in. At night the blackout blind is drawn as light from within the workshop counteracts the film .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 22
If your going to chain things up some more modern lifting chains are really tough, better than a lot of unrated chain. I had to cut out some damaged links a while ago and getting through with an angle grinder wasn't easy, took time and made a racket. Obviously only as good as the lock but there are good locks around as well.

Fully agree ,, I’ve seen it in my job for over 30 years-thousands of pounds worth of tools ,equipment and vehicles all protected by a cheap lock costing a few pounds 🤔🤔🤔

Latest posts

Back