Security camera(s) under £300

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flynnwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a security camera or system for under £300? Preferably wifi.

I have had a camera installed for a while now, but the software (APP) is rubbish and the camera depends on a connection to an external webserver (presumably in China) for connection to a smart phone. There was a Which report out last week which said many of these cameras send wifi passwords unencrypted.

There are many "promoted" systems on Amazon with many "positive comments" that Which also reported on as being misleading.

Any rec's?

I have deployed cameras from Hikvision. You can put an sd card in each one and use them standalone, buy a hikvision recorder or connect them to a NAS, which is how I do it. Hikvision is probably one of the leading suppliers of quality cctv cameras. Have a look at https://www.use-ip.co.uk/, they are very helpful and allow you to try before you buy.

Richard

Flynnwood":23vpa75w said:
Can anyone recommend a security camera or system for under £300? Preferably wifi.

I have had a camera installed for a while now, but the software (APP) is rubbish and the camera depends on a connection to an external webserver (presumably in China) for connection to a smart phone. There was a Which report out last week which said many of these cameras send wifi passwords unencrypted.

There are many "promoted" systems on Amazon with many "positive comments" that Which also reported on as being misleading.

Any rec's?

You haven't said if ...

...you want control over specific areas to detect motion, say

.. or controls to differentiate between movement and people walking (stops the cat from triggering the camera!)

.. if you want notification on your phone while away from the premises

.. what you actually want to protect, where and when..if you want to remotely access your camera in real-time to see who is there

.. external or internal

I could go on....but you get my drift. :D I've tried quite a few cameras in my time and many of them are seriously flakey in the s/w department.

It really does depend on the answer to all those questions, I'm afraid.

RichardG":2m9ul02z said:
I have deployed cameras from Hikvision. You can put an sd card in each one and use them standalone, buy a hikvision recorder or connect them to a NAS, which is how I do it. Hikvision is probably one of the leading suppliers of quality cctv cameras. Have a look at https://www.use-ip.co.uk/, they are very helpful and allow you to try before you buy.

Richard

I too use HikVision and initially when looking to upgrade from analogue to IP cameras I spent ages looking at different models and from the reviews I saw of the HikVision ones - they blew most out of the water.

For 300 quid you might just get a mid to low range HikVision NVR and a camera or 2.

This gives a really good idea of what the picture quality of the HikVision cameras is like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DpMRXvG1Cg&t=132s

I think you can run them without an NVR tho (but I don't). As RogerS has pointed out, it does depend on what you are specifically wanting to do.

HIH

Dibs

Latest posts

Back