Security......Bushes!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim123

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening All,

I read a post on here some time ago about various sheds/workshops getting broken into and stuff robbed out of and someone put a post up of some nasty looking garden bush that would deter even the most hardened fence jumping thieving swine.

Can anyone on here remember what the bush was or, recommend one??!!

Thanks in advance!

Jim

We planted Berberis as it was described in the catalogue as a 'boy proof hedge'

It has hard sharp thorns and is very effective.

Bob

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/thieving-little-pineapples-t39545.html?hilit=thieving

Any good jim

Adidat

Pyracantha is quiet nasty but pretty too?

Any plants with spikes will do - holly, shrub roses.

Rod

Pyracantha and Berberis both horrible shrubs, but great for keeping thieving scum out! :twisted:
I got both in my garden, pyracantha has thorns well over an inch long, however they are a sod to prune.

Stew

Thanks gents.....

These'll do.

I'm sure the ones who really think i've got tools worth pinching will start to turn up with gardening shears now though....

Good old East London!

Just took out a large pyracantha a couple of weeks ago, evil thing !!!

Got fed up of pruning it and getting punctures in the lawn mower tyres where I missed picking bits up. I was a bit shredded by the time I had finished and taken it to the recycling centre, but saved the trunk sections (about 3" diameter) for turning, so got my revenge in the end :)

Cheers, Paul

When I left school I worked for a parish council and we used pyracantha instead of barbed wire as advised by the police, worked way better, looked good and anyone getting hurt has no legal claim.

Rosa rugosa is also a "nice plant" to have in your security hedging, the thorns are long, thin, go in vertically and break off. Very painful to have em in you and even more painful to remove. As an afterthought, NOT of course that I'm encouraging anyone to do anything in the least bit "nasty" you could of course give these nice spikey plants a spray with water in which a large quantiuty of horse manure has been soaked...an excellent liquid fertiliser....just make sure YOUR and anyone who lives/visits has their anti tetanus up to date :lol:

DIY Stew":18lwvazf said:
Pyracantha and Berberis both horrible shrubs, but great for keeping thieving scum out! :twisted:

Stew

wrong, they are beautiful shrubs and great for keeping out unwanted pineapples in the garden.

mahonia has pretty lethal spines on the edges of the leaves (like holly), blackthorn has nasty spines and the quince has really nasty woody spines...

Any climbing rose - their thorns point backwards to help the plant climb.
Blackthorn is brilliant- the thorns break off in the flesh and then move around and go septic, but contain the roots- it suckers.
Sloe gin is wonderful ,as well.

Hi,

Berberis is also has a amazing yellow coloured wood.

Pete

In Madagascar they favour Cactus, pity they won't grow here. Don't forget Blackberries, trained along the workshop wall they should deter any window breakers, and the fruit's nice.

Roy.

I'll go with the pyrocanther. We have a 6 foot high hedge down one side of the garden, all 75 metres of it! A real cow to prune as others have said, but a VERY good block to incomers :mrgreen:

Thorns 1" long? The thorns on ours are 2" + and the common English name is firethorn because the tips break off when it stabs you and then goes septic tout suit!

If you fit an alarm put the siren inside. 2 reasons, 1. difficult to knick with your fingers in your ears, 2. the thug can't hear if anyone is coming! A caravan alarm is ideal for small workshops and not too dear..

Latest posts

Back