Securing your workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd just like to point out that last year has seen an all time high achieved for dog thefts. Depending on the breed and the location, they are either stolen to order for resale, or more commonly they are stolen for use as bait dogs at dog fighting events.

Yes, dog fighting. We didn't evolve past this disgusting "sport" yet. We didn't leave it behind in the 18th century, like many people assume. Still happens, and chances are you have met someone who's attended an evening of such "entertainment" and "had a flutter" as though they were down the races. Except in this case, act one is the warm-up in which an attack dog rips a little terrier's legs off. Then it might disembowel it. Then the terrier finally dies. Act two they might bring in a lab or a collie. Act three, the main event! Two attack dogs! Put your money down, ladies and gents!

I apologise if I've been graphic or dramatic. Actually, I don't. This is a message that needs to get out. The human garbage that runs these shows and attends them are quite active across most of the country, but the police don't have the resources and the media are afraid of making their viewers/readers upset if they report on it too often.

Puppies are stolen, too. Breeding age bitches are stolen to provide puppies. The puppies aren't used in the fights. They're used in training and as food. There was a breeder/trainer openly living in a housing estate near me. Eventually, the screams were noticed, questions were asked, and he realised he was attracting attention. One day his house was empty, and the stinking shed full of small, uneaten ... parts ... was empty, as well. Unfortunately, he wasn't arrested and his animals weren't destroyed so god knows where they are, now.

People, keep your dogs indoors at night, or at any time when you're not home to supervise them, or notice intruders. Dogs get stolen out of back gardens all the time. Terriers, Spaniels, Frenchies, those curly little Bichon Frises, even Labradors and other gun dogs.

And nine times out of ten, it's to use them as bait in dog fights. So no use putting up posters for rewards, because the dog hasn't been "rehomed". It's been minced.

I could tell you stories that would send your hair white if it isn't already.

Please don't give these scumbags the opportunity.

Sorry for preaching. But dogs are not the answer. Some of these swine would actually steal your dog in preference to the power tools!
I'd actually support capital punishment for this.

Oh dear, well the last few posts make for dreadful reading thats for sure and I wouldnt wish to contradict anything thats been said,,the police have however said just a few days ago that whilst there are lots of social media reports of dogs being stolen its seemingly not backed up by reports being made to the police who said that dog theft reports are low and have not increased this year,,? But indeed we are mindful of the little dog, thankfully she is not very brave but barks a lot,,she expects me to be brave I suppose!
Steve.

Many thanks everyone for your input, its all very good practicle stuff, but I didnt know it was being posted, I wonder why it doesnt apear in the daily digest?
As to my little alarm, well Im constantly impressed by it, the range of the remote controls is at least 40yds, no false alarms so far even with a bit of wind, though tonights gales will be a good test, and demonstrating it to my kids it seems that anymore than a light touch has the alarm warning you off. For what is a very minimal cost I feel Ive got somthing that will at least make a lot of noise and hopefully scare off the less sophisticated thief, if I can stop them wrecking my doors I will be very pleased indeed.
Steve.

Sorry to hear your news.
Hope what ever you decide to do re security works and keeps the thieves out if they try again ...
Made me think about my security...

Back