Quantcast

Securely joining an 100 degree mitre corner?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

MissesA

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and would appreciate some advice.

I need to securely join some mitre corners together (see pic). The angle of the join is 100 degrees. I've used Araldite but it didn't stick at all, and I've had problems with wood glue in the past, even when I prep the mitre edges beforehand with a 50% glue/50% water mix.

I was thinking of using a corner bracket, but I can't find any that aren't fixed at a right angle. The join needs to be strong because these are supports for some heavier objects.

Any suggestions from experienced folks would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

IMG_7347.jpg

Woody2Shoes

Impressive Member
Reaction score
Such a joint - endgrain to endgrain - is always going to be weak, regardless of what kind of glue you use - without some kind of mechanical fixing as well.

Some options include:

1) Cut and glue an additional 10 degree wedge so you can use a 90 degree bracket.
2) Use a screw or two through the cross-grain of one piece into the end grain of the other.
3) Use wooden splines or pegs/dowels.
4) Use dovetails.

Cheers, W2S

Ttrees

Iroko loco!
Reaction score
Maybe try a dovetail approach?
Matt Estlea's garden workshop series might be worth a look.

If your pushed for time and want a miter joint, then you could always find some 90 degree brackets that you could bend.

Tom

Rich C

Established Member
Reaction score
Splines are probably the easiest to fabricate, very straight forward to just slot them into a saw kerf.

owen

Established Member
Reaction score
Mitrefast glue is good for this but if it needs strength glue alone isn't going to be enough

TheUnicorn

Established Member
Reaction score
would it be an option to cut a 100 degree piece as a brace, similar to the image (which is 90)? In addition to some splines at the join

Steliz

Camberwell Carrot
Reaction score
The L shaped brackets that you can get at B&Q are quite easy to bend if you don't mind how it looks.