Sectional vessel.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
I finally got this completed today, it was a steep learning curve and though I am happy with it, there are a lot of errors in it, most unseen and due to the process rather than the turning, it was a tough cookie to turn and even tougher to photograph. It's 14" tall.
Made from a Beech wood top, Ebony stem and a spalted Maple base.

Colour is Chestnuts red and orange with red Jo Sonja iridescent on top.

SL-1.png

SL-2.png

SL-3.png

SL-4.png

Certainly making your life on the lathe "interesting" Kim, several awkward bits that you mastered spring to view in the finished assembly.

Interesting to see your combination of woods types and colouring techniques.

Very interesting Kim I like the base up to the top of the stem and the top trumpet but not sure about the bulbous piece but that is just a personal thing. However, as always well turned and finished

I agree Derek, design wise I can see quite an imbalance and the Bulb is definitely part of that, not it's presence as such, but it's shape for sure, it lacks grace, the vase bit above is a bit too heavy in the base and would have looked better if it narrowed down a lot more, again, it lacks a certain finesse, the ebony stem would have looked best if the top bulb mirrored the bottom one, giving a better sense of balance and unity through that section, otherwise I am fairly happy with it, I didn't go silly thin with it as again, I felt it needed at least a sense of stability. The base I am actually very happy with, it a slice of Japanese Maple, Acer Palmatum, from a neighbours garden they gave me over a year ago. Thanks for a bit of constructive comment too, I really like that, and thanks Chas too, it's really encouraging when people take a minute to make a comment and makes porting up images of work worthwhile, when you see 75 views and only two comments you wonder if you made some kind of horrible mistake! But hopefully posting up our work not only lets people see what you made, but helps others to have ideas too, that is certainly how I got all my ideas, from forums and galleries of other turners work, it's nice to add a comment or two. Keeps the community spirit going as well.

I took another look at it after Derek's comment and thought that just taking the bell down to the stem without the bulb would look more elegant.

KimG":3v9b2qa9 said:
Thanks for a bit of constructive comment too, I really like that, and thanks Chas too, it's really encouraging when people take a minute to make a comment and makes porting up images of work worthwhile, when you see 75 views and only two comments you wonder if you made some kind of horrible mistake! But hopefully posting up our work not only lets people see what you made, but helps others to have ideas too, that is certainly how I got all my ideas, from forums and galleries of other turners work, it's nice to add a comment or two. Keeps the community spirit going as well.

I feel that some will not make a comment as they see themselves as not being good enough to do so. Others also as they feel it may upset the original poster or not sure how to word something.
Others just will not comment and would rather just sit and enjoy what others have made.
I have got used to commenting on peoples work as I judge at our club competitions and it is nice to be able to give them feedback which has worked for some as I can see the improvements from those comments.
Some will not even post their work in case they get negative feedback which if given correctly will help that person improve.
Sorry for going a little off topic Kim

CHJ":2o83029q said:
I took another look at it after Nev's comment and thought that just taking the bell down to the stem without the bulb would look more elegant.

Nev made a comment? I don't see it, did it get moved.

Mod edit: My mistake, should have read DEREK's

This is the guy who inspired me to have a go, as you can see, he is an absolute master, these pieces are amazing.

click here to view

I will get there, but it takes time and practice, this was just a step on the way.

Dalboy":1ud7uaki said:
I feel that some will not make a comment as they see themselves as not being good enough to do so. Others also as they feel it may upset the original poster or not sure how to word something.
That's me to a tee. I don't feel I have the right to comment on someone else's work if I can't do it myself.
To my eye, which isn't very good, the top bulb is too big & takes out the flow of the form. Also the colouring is distracting. The timber is nice enough to be left natural with the same finish as on the outside.

Thanks Robbo, colour, well, that is bound to appeal to some but not others, it's the nature of things, but I agree about the form, it lacks the elegance I was hoping for, but still learning like everyone else. Thanks for the comment! :)

Latest posts

Back