Secret Santa 2018 Pictures here, please (page nine start).

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weeks ago a brown paper parcel wrapped in string (I have not seen or received any parcel wrapped with string for decades now) This morning they were eagerly unwrapped and behold a brace of handmade wooden screw clamps, the perfect gift, whoever sent these, thank you. I love wooden screw clamps and think they are somewhat underrated today. They will be put to good use and yet again UKworkshop secret santa is the best.

Attachments

• wooden screw clamps.JPG
    wooden screw clamps.JPG
    646.5 KB · Views: 238
  • wooden screw clamps 1.JPG
    wooden screw clamps 1.JPG
    724.8 KB · Views: 238
A big thanks to my Secret Santa. I was quite taken by the presumably custom wrapping paper !

20181225_104125_resized.jpg

20181225_132143_resized.jpg

Here's the collection of things inside. A 6" rule, with a handy homemade depth gauge which fits with magnets and a locking screw. A cabinet scraper and nicely proportioned burnisher. And a bag of cookies ! I have to admit I have never tried using these (in fact I had to Google that they were what I thought - but I do love those mystery tool threads). I look forward to giving them a go, workholding is often a struggle.

I haven't figured out who Santa is yet, but thank you, nice collection, and really nice when someone takes the time to handmake :ho2

Attachments

• 20181225_104125_resized.jpg
    20181225_104125_resized.jpg
    791.9 KB · Views: 236
  • 20181225_132143_resized.jpg
    20181225_132143_resized.jpg
    752.6 KB · Views: 236
My pressie is a lovely marking gauge which can be used for straight marking or by removing the guide for curves.
It is beautifully made made and will come into into it's own for a project I have coming up in the new year
Thank you secret Santa :ho2
My phone does not want to play ball on uploading a photo so I will have to add it in tomorrow

20181225_151219.jpg

Finally got to add my photo, thanks again to my secret santa

Attachments

• 20181225_151219.jpg
    20181225_151219.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 94
Sawdust=manglitter":1rjqyx01 said:
Thank you very much to my extremely anonymous Secret Santa (Ben Tyreman :D) for such a well executed shaker style box. Its way too nice to be kept in the workshop. Extremely well made box, perfect dovetails (not the easiest in pine), and a lovely note too. Thank you very much :)

647a148d74509a6f7025679cbcbc81de.jpg

8849c59c6a6b685452e5f4ba2ddb2362.jpg

87d28f421d9dcf7519ba9b4662b413e8.jpg

Also think I forgot to include a note in my SS gift too!

Nadolig llawen to everyone :deer :ho2

Lovely box, and he's clocked the screws, it's those small things that show a lot of effort and pride has been put into this, well done SS.

Merry Christmas forum friends,

I am chuffed with my Secret Santa gift. A matching pair of hand made marking gauges. Thank you Santa. I am going to put these to good use in the workshop.

The gauges are made from Oak, a clever sandwich of round pieces for the body which together hold the centre cam locking mechanism. A gentle touch to lock the gauge in place. Nicely executed in deed.

I must have a go at making one of these!

Here is a picture, with a card and note from Santa;

IMG_0762.jpg

Great to see so many well made gifts and lovely presents in this thread. The forum is blessed with some very talented, kind and friendly people.

Thanks Phil for your efforts in organising this years Secret Santa event. Well done.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Cheers,

Tony (Escudo)

Attachments

• IMG_0762.jpg
    IMG_0762.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 201
Hello Rxh,

I am glad you liked the little screwdriver. :)

I made the handle, as you thought, from a piece of African Blackwood, which is very hard and dense.

I managed to acquire a few off-cuts and small chunks of the stuff, I found some years ago in a bargain bucket at Yandles.

African Blackwood is very nice to turn especially small items, and polishes up easily.

I hope the screwdriver provides years of trusty service. Good also to know that you have found a place for it in the deluxe tools section of the workshop. 8)

Cheers,

Tony (Escudo).

glad you liked the box sawdust=manglitter :D

here's mine, very very happy with it, have always wanted to know how to make a guitar, great choice of gift, nice personal touch, as a guitar player of 20 years, it is perfect =D> :ho2 thanks secret santa

Attachments

• Secretsanta2018-1.jpg
    Secretsanta2018-1.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 177
I puzzled over this for a bit. It's not impossible that my confusion had something to do with the excellent red we had with christmas lunch, but in the end I came to the conclusion that this is a depth gauge in brass and stainless steel. Thanks very much to my SS:

2VcS5C3.jpg

Hi Mike,
Sorry to give the game away and also that I ran out of time to include a description.
It is actually a miniature sliding square. As with the full size version you can of course use it as a depth gauge.
I made it from tool steel and brass. It is coated in micro crystalline wax to protect the finish

Many thanks to my secret Santa
I was very pleased to have to use a screwdriver to open the transport box my pressie arrived in, this caused a laugh, my family recon I’ll be laid to rest with a screwdriver in my hand.
In the transport box was lovely little wooden tongue and groove profile Plane.
I will be fine tuning this in the new year and putting it to good use, I do lay a lot of oak flooring and very often have to adapt tongue and groove boards to suit each other when I’m joining up to existing flooring

Attachments

• 982580CD-DFBE-43F5-83F1-57AC8D898656.jpeg
    982580CD-DFBE-43F5-83F1-57AC8D898656.jpeg
    679.1 KB · Views: 342
  • F6D77F77-B3E4-49B6-A1A4-7A1E77E03B68.jpeg
    F6D77F77-B3E4-49B6-A1A4-7A1E77E03B68.jpeg
    700 KB · Views: 342
Jamesc":jjaxtqmw said:
Hi Mike,
Sorry to give the game away and also that I ran out of time to include a description.
It is actually a miniature sliding square. As with the full size version you can of course use it as a depth gauge.
I made it from tool steel and brass. It is coated in micro crystalline wax to protect the finish

Thanks James. That explains why I couldn't find a piccie on the interwebthingy. Chuffed that you made it. That's very impressive.

tjQfXjx.jpg

Received in the post last week , I got this delightful bundle. Two very substantial socket mortice chisels, one Greaves and one Spear and Jackson. These are the nice old ones with a laminated blade, still with acres of use left in them. Also nicely polished with the backs in very good order. I am particularly impressed with the nicely turned handles, beautiful smooth finish, no tearout and very clean burn lines. The little tub of wax is also most interesting, I have never used a carnuba wax before, so will be trying it out at the next opportunity.

MyXtYeB.jpg

My secret santa obviously got a good sense of me from my posts, These chisels sit very nicely amongst my other socket chisels, although the high polish makes the others look a little scrappy!

Thank you very much to my secret santa, I feel very lucky to have received a present with so much obvious care and attention paid to it.

Thank you also to Phil, who has taken on the difficult job of wrangling 20 anonymous people from sheds across the land. It looks like everything has gone off without a hitch. Hope you all have a merry Christmas and Happy new year

Well, my Secret Santa is a mystery, but is from Wales and has been most generous. Given the beauty of the presents, I have some questions to ask of him about cactus juice...

I have been sent a selection of stabilised wood blanks for turning, a hunk of English boxwood and a shop made boxwood plane which looks ideal for trimming off dowels and glue squeeze out.

I have taken a couple of pics of some particular favourites. Figured wood is always very hard to photograph without perfect lighting Its obvious when I think about it, but it had never occurred to me that figured bog Oak even existed! A beautiful peace was included. It is humbling to think of something 4000 years old being used.

I can't wait to try some of these blanks.

Thank you santa, and thank you Phil for organising.

Mark

IMG_20181225_193954.jpg

IMG_20181225_194018.jpg

IMG_20181225_194058.jpg

IMG_20181225_194119.jpg

IMG_20181225_194152.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181225_193954.jpg
    IMG_20181225_193954.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 337
  • IMG_20181225_194018.jpg
    IMG_20181225_194018.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 338
  • IMG_20181225_194058.jpg
    IMG_20181225_194058.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 338
  • IMG_20181225_194119.jpg
    IMG_20181225_194119.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 339
  • IMG_20181225_194152.jpg
    IMG_20181225_194152.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 338
After going for a little tour my SS arrived and I am very impressed, in fact gob-smacked. I would like to thank you for the very generous gifts of a 220 rider block plane, a very snazy Festool tape (I can consider myself a big boy now I have my first ever Festool bit of kit) and a stunningly lovely little spalted (I think) maple snowman, which now will be the tree topper in our house from now on (if her ladyship doesnt turn it into the handle for the medicine cabinet - cos its lovely). I will put pics up tomorrow

Once again a very big heartfelt thank you to my SS. I would also like to thank Phil for all the effort he has put into organising this and hope everyone feels it was as successfull as SS past. Many thanks to all who took part in making htis the great forum that it is.

I wish one and all their most prosperous and happy year yet in the year ahead, may you achieve all y9ou hope in health and happiness.

I'm glad that all worked out OK in the end, and thanks to Marcross for posting it onwards. I wonder if there's a gremlin at work in my computer that muddled up an address - I proofread another email seconds after I wrote it and found it signed "Africa" :shock: :D I hadn't written anything, read anything or even though about Africa - so where that came from who knows. By the bye.
Everyone seems to have got theirs now except for one ...........DAMHIKT. :D

Back